Countdown (Season Three Premire)

0 Days Until Final Report.

Judgement day.

Jasper glares at the large screen floating above the beach and bathing it in a greenish yellow light.

"Well?" Yellow Diamond asks, "you going to do your job, or was retrieving you from Earth a waste just like the rest of the accursed planet?"

Steven looks around, desperate to find a weapon. Lapis and Peridot are poofed. On the beach next to him. In desperation, he summons his shield.

Jasper sighs, and summons her helmet...

99 days ago.

99 days until final report...

"What?" Connie asks.

"Yup," Steven sighs, "Rose Quartz is my mom."

The two sit on a bench on the repaired boardwalk, overlooking the sea in silence for a moment.

"So what do we do?" Connie asks.

"Nothing," Steven replies, "the gems don't know, don't need to know, and will never know."

"You can't hide this forever Steven," Connie replies.

"Watch me. I'd die before they learn the truth."

"What if they do?"

"Then I run. They'd lose it if they learned the truth, especially Jasper. I'd have nowhere else to go but I wouldn't be able to stay here."

"What about the man in the video? Wanna try to figure out who he is?"

"What's it matter? He's dead."

"Oh, right. Sorry."

"Don't worry about it."

The two go silent again as the sea breeze cools the already chilled air and grey clouds roll over head. Steven sits, thinking. What is he to do? What can he do? Should he just run now? Is that even an option?

Questions like these rush through Steven's head as he tries not to panic.

Connie notices Steven's unease, and decides to say something.

"Hey," Connie offers, "if things do go south, you can always go to my house. Anyways, it's getting late. See you later."

"Thanks Connie," Steven replies.

"What are friends for?" Connie smiles as she waves goodbye.

Steven looks back out at the ocean. He can't let the gems learn the truth, no matter what...