Opal Part One: A Quartz and a Pearl

41 days until final report.

Opal arrives today.

"Do you need an escort?" Jasper asks, "do you have a weapon?"

"Jasper it's fine," Steven replies, "I'm just getting some pretzel bites."

"But what if Blue Diamond comes back?" Jasper asks, "I won't let you get taken away again."

"Jasper I'll be OK," Steven reassures her.

"Fine," Jasper sighs, "just stay safe."

Steven nods and heads down to the boardwalk. Jasper sits with a sigh. An intense aniexty consuming her.

41 days.

41 until Yellow kills-

She banishes these thoughts. She has a plan. She's gonna do what she has to.

"Jasper?" Blue Pearl asks, "you OK?"

Jasper jumps out of her skin and puts on a confident facade, "I'm Jasper! Why would I not be?"

B.P. sighs, "OK. Look, I'm gonna be honest then. I have... no idea what to do. Steven told me to just... be me? I don't know what that means. You've been here a while and you're friends with Steven. Can you show me?"

Jasper thinks for a moment. Any chance to check on Steven is one she's gonna take. After the incident with Blue Diamond...

"Sure," Jasper replies, "I suppose it's best to start with something that works for me and you see if you like it. Have you ever eaten anything?"

B.P. shakes her head.

"Well Blue Pearl," Jasper thinks for a moment, "you know what, that's a mouthful. Can I just call you Sea?"

Blue Pearl thinks for a moment and nods, "Sea, I like it. I feel more 'just Pearl' already."

"Great," Jasper smiles with sincerity, while she's mostly going to check on Steven, she's also happy to see Sea happy, "well Sea, I'm gonna show you my favorite pastime. I'm gonna teach you to eat..."

Steven chomps on the pretzel bites as he walks down the boardwalk with a smile. Still concerned about what will happen in forty one days, but after finally sleeping, he feels much better and less worried.

Jasper keeps him just in the corner of her eye, just to be sure he's OK.

"So this is food?" Sea asks examing a funnel cake, "and it goes through?"

"Yeah I don't like the end result much either," Jasper admits, "try it. It's worth it."

"I don't think it's really my cup of tea," Sea sighs, "as the humans say."

"Oh," Jasper replies, "more for me. So what kinda things do you like?"

Sea looks at the...

You guessed it.

Sea looks at the sea and smiles, "I love the ocean, I truly do. It's so beautiful. I remember seeing it on old reports about Earth. I've always wanted to try something."

"What is it?" Jasper asks.

"The humans call it surfing," Blue Pearl smiles, "do you know anything about it?"

Jasper turns to look at Steven, to make sure he's OK. She then looks at Sea, who offers a shy smile, her quiet nature overshadowed by her joy of freedom under the warm Sun that bathes the duo in a warm yellow blanket. Jasper looks at Steven, a fear consuming her, but she looks back at Blue Pearl's kind smile. She feels a desire to see that smile again. A feeling she can't quite put into words.

"Yeah I think I know a thing or two," Jasper replies smiling, "come on."

Jasper and Sea go down to the beach where Jasper grabs a surfboard from a stand and hands it to Sea.

"OK," she explains, "here's what you do." Jasper gently helps Sea onto the surfboard in the shallows, "get your balance, take a deep breath and-"

An arrow flies through Jasper's chest, poofing her.

"Jasper!" Sea exclaims as a tall pale fusion prepares another arrow, taking aim as the citizens panic and flee.

Sea feels an odd anger within her at seeing Jasper, a quartz who was treating her as an equal and a friend...

Sea summons her rapier.

"You're gonna regret that," she glares.

"We're not afraid of you," the fusion laughs, "I'm not afraid of you. I just want Steven."

"Steven gave me a home," Sea retorts with a hidden rage, "you're gonna have to shatter me to get to him. He's my best friend you... what are you?"

"I'm a Crystal Gem," the fusion  chuckles, "but you can call me..."

The fusion pulls back her bow with a smirk, ready for a fight, "Opal."