Diagnosis

Steven sits in the doctor's office, humming a tune to pass the time as Connie asks, "So today you feel..."

"Same as yesterday," Steven explains, "Happy. Blissful. Energetic. Really hungry."

Steven takes out a granola bar and wolfs it down, "I can't stop eating."

Connie nods, "Yeah that's not normal."

"Yeah especially given how on some days I eat like," Steven explains, "One meal."

"Yeah I'm really worried about that," Connie explains, "My mom was supposed to be here by now..."

Ms. Maheswaran sighs in the mourge as she examines a body, "No heartbeat... so why does it twitch? I don't get it..."

Steven cracks open drinks some of a soda before offering it to Connie who accepts. She sips it and hands it back, "Yeah my mom should be able to diagnosis you at the very least and... ow. Ow! Ow!"

"What's wrong?" Steven asks.

"My glasses are making my head hurt," Connie explains, "What is..."

Connie removes her glasses and explains, "Steven do you have healing powers?"

"Healing spit why?" Steven asks.

"Yeah my eyes are healed," Connie explains, "But also, ew. Backwash."

"Why are you so calm about not needing glasses anymore?" Steven asks.

Connie replies, "At this point I'm just used to this stuff I guess."

Ms. Maheswaran enters, pulling up a chair to speak to Steven, "So what seems to be the trouble anyways?"

"Well it's..." Steven sighs, "How do I explain this? Some days I'll wake up in an energetic bliss. Be all over the place. Super happy and positive. Eat twice as much as normal. Other days I don't want to wake up at all. I hardly eat. I'll feel empty and depressed. Sometimes it can change in the middle of the day if I'm triggered, and on occasion nothing can upset me no matter what and whatever would've upset me just hits when that ends and... that can last days on rare occasions."

"Yeah I've seen this one," Ms. Maheswaran explains, "And do you suffer from any emotional trauma? Mental illness run in your family?"

"Trauma?" Steven asks, "Who knows? Same with my genetics too."

Ms. Maheswaran nods, "Yeah, OK. This is probably bipolar depression."

"But he's not depressed," Connie explains, "He's happy as can be right now!"

"Not depression," Ms. Maheswaran replies, "Bipolar depression, or bipolar disorder if you prefer. It's an often misdiagnosed mental illness similar to depression. Symptoms include mood swings, symptoms of regular depression, manic episodes, rash actions, and the like."

"Manic what?" Steven asks.

Ms. Maheswaran elaborates, "It's often genetic but can be caused partially by trauma, but one major symptom is manic episodes. When these occur people often feel strong, invincible in some cases, they act more rashly. Their... reproductive functions become more active. That's not of concern for you at the moment but that can also fluctuate wildly. They feel more hungry, full of energy, and in some cases cannot become upset by almost, keyword almost, anything. It can last from hours to weeks. It's caused by inconsistent dopamine production in the brain and, or in some cases soley, mental trauma. Although I may have to double check that soley part so don't quote me on that. It's not my field of expertise. My advice to you and anyone else bipolar is when you're manic do three things. 1: Acknowledge it. Realize you are manic first. 2: Acknowledge you are more rash and actively avoid making any improtant choices without actually thinking it over properly. 3: Do not let your mental illness distort your world view. Often nothing has actually changed and it's merely a massive increase in dopamine production. So again, don't act rashly. Aside from that, as long as you don't let it distort your world view and acknowledge it so you don't act rashly in ways you'll regret later, you can mostly just look on the bright side and enjoy it for what it is. Maybe that won't apply to everyone but.. applied to me."