In the eye of the Hurricane

Hamilton Pov:
I start the long trek to the orphanage. I try to think of anything and everything (pretty much) but my thoughts always go back to one thing, Aaron Burr. It's been hell. My stupid brain has been replaying the tear falling down Burr's face over and over again. The human brain is a marvellous thing but sometimes it feels like it is made to torture me, to purposely act like a magnet towards bad memories, to remind me of mistakes and regrets that cause guilt to borrow at my heart. I have never seen Burr cry besides when intoxicated and talking about his dead parents. Was promoting Thomas such a bad thing that the only thing that can make him cry more is him remembering his parents. Before I know it, My mind becomes a hurricane of guilt, death, pain , suffering and mostly recurring- that one tear. I'm so wrapped in my thoughts that I don't notice the first drop of rain splashing on the pavement or the darkening of the sky. A few moments later it starts to pour down. I look up at the sky and can see an eye look down at me. "Hurricane!" I hear someone yell. I scramble and run to the closest house, not looking around me. I knock on the door.

Burr Pov:
I look at the dark sky and pity the people frantically running around. I hear a loud knock on the door. I open the door to reveal Hamilton standing there with water dripping down his face. His long hair, escaping its bun, is soaking. He wraps his hoodie around him. He looks up at me and I realise that I've just been staring at him. I usher him in.
"Thank you" He pants.
"You're welcome". A loud bang of thunder floods the house. He whimpers and puts his hands to his ears. I motion him to the stairs.
" Why are you here?" I asked him.
" H-hurricane. Had to get inside."
" Oh shit!" I say leading him down the stairs to our basement.
As we're down there we can hear the hurricane in the distance.
" N-n-no please no!" Shouts Alexander crying while rocking himself back and forth on the ground.

Flashback
" Everyone get inside there's a hurricane! Shouts a random stranger in the street grabbing Alexander and a few other people.
Alex watched through a small window as a hurricane charges through his town destroying hundreds of houses. When it finally stopped all there was left of the small house he and brother used to live in was a few pieces of wood on the floor. All of his pictures and memories of his mother were gone.

(Flashback over)
" It's just a small hurricane. It's far away it can't hurt you." I say gently to him.
He ignores me and continues to cry and rock back and forth.
There's a loud bang of thunder and Hamilton jumps up with fear.
I look at him cautiously and his cheeks burn with embarrassment.
" I-I'm s-sorry I-I s-should g-go."
" No it's okay stay here."
" T-thank y-you."
We sit there in silence until I look out the window and notice the hurricane is gone.
" The hurricanes gone now." I tell him.
He is about to get up until a very loud bang of thunder rings through the room.
" There's no hurricane anymore you're safe." I reassure him.
" I-I K-know But the t-thunder scares me." He says blushing while pulling his sweater over the bottom half of his face.
I laugh and say, " Oh is little Alexander scared!"
He nods with tears running down his face.
" No, don't cry!" I say. " It will be okay you're safe."
He sniffles and pulls me into a hug.
I embrace the hug but then remember how he betrayed me. I wave of anger bursts through me and I am about to push him away until another loud bang of thunder fills the room and he lets it a weak cry and hugs me tighter. He starts to fall asleep so I pick him up and put him on the sofa. "S-stay? He asks. I nod and lay down next to him, suddenly feeling a little deja-vu.

Hamilton Pov:
"MY BROTHER!" I scream "YOU NEED TO SAVE HIM!"
"I'm sorry. We only had enough time to save you."
I spot my brother underneath a piece of falling debris. "JAMES!" I scream.

Burr Pov:
"JAMES!" I hear. I look around and see Hamilton tossing and turning. Did we fall asleep?
"It's okay. I'm here" I say quietly. He doesn't hear me and I notice he's still sleeping.
"I'M SORRY JAMES! I'M SORRY I CAN'T SAVE YOU!" I nudge Alexander to wake him up. He suddenly sits up.
"Was I sleep talking?" He asks wide-eyed.
"Only a little bit" I lie.
"What was I talking about?" He questions.
"You were mentioning someone named James." He bites his lips as a tear rolls down his face.
"I guess I should tell you about James, then."
"You don't have to" I say gently.
"I know you're dying to know". I shake my head 'no' even though curiosity is eating me alive.