What Just Happened? Part 5

The Mira Costa High School stadium is covered with ant-like activity when viewed from afar. The aluminum and wood stands are filled with multihued fans, parents and college scouts all attending with different agendas. Some here just to cheer their friends on, others supporting loved ones and the latter hoping to find the next big star in track. The field itself is a pristine 100 yards of yellow-green grass being trampled by athletes of varying caliber. Long jump, High Jump, Pole Vault and Javelin events are all in high gear simultaneously.

Eric Stoble warms up, ignoring the girls who fawn over him. A cheerleader follows Eric around like a newly hatched duckling. "Eric, why don't you ever call me?"

Eric doesn't even seem aware of the girls, he accepts a javelin from his coach and approaches the launching pad. He concentrates, and if you would be close enough to him you might hear him whispering this, "There are times to forgive, there are times to give in, but now is the time to... take... ALL!" A few running steps and Eric rockets the javelin high and far into the sky.

"Holy Mackerel," the Coach mutters under his breath, he is impressed, as are the spectators who all erupt in applause and appreciation. It's an amazing throw. The javelin pierces the field a clear 10 yards beyond his competitor's mark.

A superb athlete, Eric excels in each of the classic Olympic sports, hammer throw, shot put and discus, blowing away the competition as he spins and lets fly heavy, deadly weapons of yore.

Girls and fans cheer Eric, but he doesn't care for any of that. He searches the field until he spots his own bit of heaven. "Whoa." Eric has to catch his breath when he finally spots Livia in a blood red track outfit that looks a tad too sexy for a pole vaulting event.

Livia runs, plants, kicks, twists... and is over the bar!

The crowd loves her! The press snap photos of Livia, rushing in to ask questions.

Mrs. Burdock, the biology teacher, cheers the students on.

The loudspeaker booms across the Stadium,

"That was Mira Costa pole vaulting history in the making folks! Thirteen feet 4 inches! Livia Hawk has taken the lead from our beloved Floe Konsera! Floe has only one more jump to retain her lead, otherwise, Mira Costa High has a new National Champion in Livia Hawk!"

Floe, intimidated, stands at the head of the track. The same boy who taunted her in biology class now yells down at Floe with some helpful advice, "Just imagine it's a volcano! And you have to leap over it!" This time it is Mrs. Burdock, the biology teacher who hits him on the back of the head and says, "Be nice."

It was the wrong thing for Floe to hear. The old feeling of anxiety blossoms in her chest and Floe can feel the dread of panic not far behind. The dogs were close. But she quickly shuts the gate. I need this, to help find my mother.

The loudspeaker teases her, adds to her growing apprehension. "Floe must clear 13 feet 5 inches, that's never been done on our field, or any other field in the state!"

Livia approaches Floe. What the hell does she want?

Livia says, "I told you to stay low. You're in danger. You need to get off the field."

"What are you talking about? You come to my school, you take my guy... ."

"Your guy?"

"You tell me not to look for my mother and you challenge my position as the best freakin' pole vaulter this school has ever seen and you tell me to stand down?"

"I need you to keep a low profile, you can't win this. Just back off, it's for your own good, you know what I am talking about!"

"If all of this is just your way of trying to psyche me out, then you got it all wrong. Because all you did is tick me off! Now get off of my runway!"