Chapter 3

It would be fair to say many food-related things fascinated me at different points in my life.

I loved watching how seemingly different ingredients created a unique flavor. I was excited every time a customer complimented us on our dishes. Then there was the thrill of teaching someone to cook and seeing them create their first edible something.

During many years, cooking had been my primary source of contentment, until Louise Donovan, or simply Lou, decided to visit my bistro.

"Thank you for everything, Thierry," Louise said with a smile. "It was a wonderful afternoon."

"Anytime. I'm happy your daughter and you liked my restaurant."

Louise laughed. "Liked it? Are you kidding me? We loved it. As I told you before, cooking isn't my forte."

"I might have to disagree," I objected. "You probably didn't have a good teacher."

Lou's blue eyes shone as she smiled at me again. It was refreshing to see a genuine smile. From the little I'd learned about her, she was a lawyer in one of the top firms in the city. When she told me what her job was, I was surprised. Much to my shame, I expected someone tougher, or at least less friendly and not so warm.

"Well," she shifted her feet, "when Ellie comes back from the bathroom, we'll leave you, I'm afraid. We're the last customers, and it's already late."

"You can stay for as long as you want, Lou."

"Ellie has school tomorrow."

The thought of the two of them leaving wasn't pleasant. Gathering the courage I was suddenly lacking, I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

"I'd like to see you again, Louise. Would you give me your number?"

She suddenly seemed uncomfortable. "Sure, but...I just wanted to make it clear that my daughter will always come first. If we continue getting to know each other, I need you to be okay with it. I know it's too early to be speaking about it, but I'm not the one to beat around the bush."

"I guess that's at least one thing we have in common." I smiled, handing her my phone. "Type it in."

"Mom."

Ellie approached us, glancing at me and back at her mother.

"Ready to go, honey?" Louise asked.

The girl nodded, grabbing her purse from the chair. Lou took advantage of her distraction to hand my phone back to me.

I accompanied the girls outside and waited for them to get into the car and drive out of the parking lot.

Back in the restaurant, I checked on Marco, who was tidying up the kitchen.

"Go home, Marco."

My assistant grinned. "Do you want me gone so you can avoid the interrogation?"

I failed to hide my smile. "Yes, you were right. She's great. Happy?"

"Will be when you ask me to help you plan the menu for your wedding banquette, but I guess the fact that you've exchanged numbers is enough to placate me for now."

The tinted glass door didn't seem to be a good idea anymore.

"See you tomorrow, boss. Don't stay here till late."

"Good night, Marco."

Marco picked up his things and left me in the place where I spent more time than in my house.

I thought about calling my dad, but it was too late in Paris. Not having much else to do, I was about to check the bar inventory and head home as well.

A loud bang on the door changed my plans.

"Fauber, are you in there?"

The two men standing outside the bistro weren't the people I would expect to see on Monday evening.

"Doctors," I grinned, opening the door wider, "I didn't call an ambulance."

"The ambulance came to you," said Alan. "Have you got booze? All the damn bars are closed."

"It's Monday." I shrugged. "Some people are in a hurry to go home, unlike me."

"Now, as your therapist," said Leo, "I would suggest you got yourself a life. As someone in need of alcohol, I say thank God you're still here."

I let the two men inside and put the 'Closed' sign on the door.

"Doctor Morris, doctor Jennings, welcome to Thierry's. Take a seat."

Alan and Leo sat at one of the tables opposite the bar. I went to the kitchen to take some cheese and cold meat. We were about to drink, but I wasn't going to do it on an empty stomach.

I placed the platters on the table and got a bottle of Scotch.

The liquid poured into Alan's tumbler first. He didn't even wait for me to serve a drink for Leo and me, gulping down the contents of his glass.

"More."

I complied, frowning.

Leo sighed. "Alan, it wasn't your fault."

Alan picked up his empty glass and twirled it in his hands. "Say that to the family."

"You're a trauma surgeon, not God. Sometimes you win, sometimes they die."

"Guess what? I wish they didn't die. You're a therapist, Leo. You're lucky nobody passes away on the operating table on your watch."

"Well, I am, but hearing the stories I hear isn't easy, either."

We clinked glasses and took a sip in silence. Leo was the first to speak.

"You know, it's almost like a joke. A trauma surgeon and a shrink walk into a bar..."

Alan finally smiled, although it wasn't his usual broad grin.

"Okay, you win. We don't want to scare Thierry with our work stuff. What's new, Fauber?"

"Not much." I shrugged. "Well, I met a girl today."

Leo smirked. "Wanna talk about it?"

"Not here." I chuckled. "But I think I should. Can you pencil me in for an appointment this week?"

"Anything for a friend. I'm glad it's happening, Thierry. About time. Now, it's Alan's turn."

Alan rolled his eyes. "Shut it. I'm happy. I have my daughter."

We stayed at the bistro for another hour, talking more than drinking. Alan's and Leo's schedules were insane. It'd been ages since we last saw each other, let alone spent some hours just sitting and discussing our lives. After midnight, my friends took a cab, and I walked home.

There was something almost magical about the late-night walks with the echo of one's footsteps as the only sound.

Half an hour later, I let myself into my empty house.

As I lay in bed, too energized to sleep, my mind went to Louise, her dazzling smile and her warm eyes, then, to Alan and his loss, and then to the same thing that had been torturing me for years.

Grabbing my phone, I typed the name of the biggest French newspaper into the search bar, pressed on the link, and skimmed through every headline.

Still nothing.

I could allow myself to be happy one more day.

A/N
More Thierry for you.
I know you're surprised.
Thoughts?
Thank you for reading❤️❤️❤️