Chapter 26

Jean leaned back on the pillow in his hospital bed, releasing another sigh.

“Are you sure everything’s okay?”

“Positive.”

“Clement—”

I groaned. “Jean. He’s learning. He also knows way more than you think. Remember me when I started? I couldn’t make toast without burning it, and the guy is an excellent cook. Good at administrative stuff, too. We have everything under control. We don’t need you.”

Jean huffed, waving his hand. “Of course you do.”

“As a friend. As my mentor. Not as a manager of the bistro I know like the back of my hand. Listen to the doctors and let them help you recover.”

“You don’t understand. I’m not used to,” he paused, sighing, “being useless. Everyone tiptoes around me all the time. I’d rather be in the bistro kitchen giving orders than receive them here.”

“You’re going home in a few days.”

“Can’t wait. And you?”

I got up from the chair by Jean’s bed and stretched. “What about me?”

“When are you going home?”

“Once I make sure you’re feeling better. Are you already fed up with me? I thought you were looking forward to having me here.”

Jean chuckled. “I used to be. Now I want you gone because you’re a pain in the neck. Besides, I told you to bring your girlfriend, and you didn’t.”

“Lou’s busy with work, but I promise you’ll meet her soon.”

“Busy with work, but not too busy to make an honest man out of you, right?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. That’s not something we discussed. Not yet, at least.”

I wasn’t lying. Lou never mentioned marriage, only kids. She wanted to have them, and each time she brought it up, my stomach sank. 

I was a coward in more ways than one because telling her about my problem would give her another reason not to settle for someone like me, and I couldn’t bear the thought of losing her. 

“You’re still young,” Jean said, reaching for the TV remote, “but you won’t be young forever. If you want to be a father—”

“Any news?” I nodded toward the TV. Jean was good at reading me and didn’t push. He meant well, but I’d rather discuss my traumatic past than the reason why I was taking supplements and hoping for a miracle.

“That bastard is still free.” He glanced at me. “If that’s what you mean by news.”

Since Lou and I started dating, I dedicated less time to scrolling through the news pages and more time to living, but I still checked. Still hoped karma would punish my mother’s husband without damaging my dad or his company. 

“Thierry.”

I looked at Jean. He muted the television and sat straighter. 

“Don't let that monster and what happened hold you back. And if you can't move on, maybe confessing what he did would lift the weight off your chest."

"Confessing and risking ruining my dad's business?"

"Your father's used to performing damage control, or Fauber Construction wouldn't be what it is today."

"This is supposed to be about you. And here we are, talking about my issues instead of yours."

Jean rolled his eyes. "I don't have issues. I just need to cook. And be the boss."