Fire Meets Gasoline

There's no rest for me in this world. Perhaps in the next.

Those were the words he used when he decided the life he was meant to live. Decided. Yes, it was Tommy who ultimately chose this life. The guns, the money, the power, the title. He was prepared for such a life, despite the loss of his wife, Grace, and his younger brother John. Despite the despair and the misfortune, he went on to become an OBE, a renowned gangster and the leader of the Labour Party.

He had it all, until his hands got too full.

It got to too much. Paranoia, drugs, an unsettled feeling that kept Thomas awake at night.

He had finally lost it the day after Oswald Mosley was supposed to be assassinated.

It was Lizzie who had cautiously watched her husband stumble into the foggy courtyard. A morning she still lays awake thinking about. Thomas was visibly distraught over something, Arthur had told her to let him take a walk. She had called for him, asking him to come back. Something simply wasn't right.

It was in that time that he had become delirious, he vividly saw his deceased wife on many occasions. That morning, Grace stood before him, The works all done Tommy, it's all done she breathed. We can walk away from all of this. It's so easy, it's so soft. Such a small change. Thomas used the gun in his hand to shoot himself in the head.

Severe brain damage, but he didn't lose his life.

Damaged Goods.

Tommy's memory was wiped almost completely. He couldn't remember the differences between his brothers. He still couldn't remember their names. He could only comprehend his age, the present date, the current Prime Minister, and his name. Thomas Shelby.

Perhaps this is good. Lizzie had a drink in her hand as Polly sat down beside a sleeping Thomas. Her knee bobbed up and down, she had bitten her nails down to nearly nothing.

Polly held Tommy's hand, noting the various scars that danced all over his skin. Lizzie continued, He'll be able to start a new life. We'll go to Johnny's yard, live there, he'll have horses by his side. We'll bring him back to normal.

Polly looked up at Lizzie, the wife of Tommy had aged rapidly. Exhaustion from dealing with the kids, to dealing with Tommy.

No. Polly stated, granting the attention of Mrs. Shelby. Tommy will start a new life, but not here. Her eyes move back to Tommy's sleeping face. We'll take him away from here. Away from the noise, away from the city. There's a place just north of here, Finland's Court, a place where the lost go to find themselves again. We'll let him heal, let him get better. Tommy'll be safer away from us.

But the children-

The children need not know this man. Lizzie, you've seen Charlie. A byproduct of Tommy's misery. The darkness is already resonating off on them, like some sort of gas. Imagine Ruby. Imagine the young lady she'll become with Tommy around. He's sick! They'll both put a bullet to their heads as well! Polly can feel herself get enraged, she pauses to breathe. No, you'll tell them that their father is in the hospital, that they cannot see him until he's better.

A tear rolls down Polly's cheek, she quickly catches it. Brushing it away. To admit to something she never wanted to say out loud pains her. Their last conversation together haunts her. Polly wishes she could say how much she really appreciated him. She holds her head high as she continues.

He's done us good, Lizzie. Polly reaches across Tommy's body and holds Lizzie's hand. He's done us good. Now let him rest and heal until he's better.

Once Thomas had woken up after a failed brain surgery, he was saddened to find himself alone.

"Mr. Shelby." Doctor Guzman handed Thomas a bag with his belongings in it. "You're free to go. Our nurse, Kate, will take you downstairs to the car waiting for you."

"C-Car. What car?" Thomas clung to his bag, his heart in his stomach. He looked around the room one last time. He was, alas, alone. "My car?"

"No, you've got a driver who is going to take you to a town called Aurora." The Doctor was in a rush. After all, this was completely against his code of ethics. "You'll be sent to a rehab centre called Finland's Court."

Polly Grey watched from the sidelines with a heavy heart. She had a stack of cash in her purse, she was to give it away to the doctor if he obeyed her rules.

Thomas was parched. All he wanted was to get a few more answers. But the doctor was already backing up, preparing to leave. "D-Do I live there, Doctor?"

"You'll soon find out, m'boy." He patted Thomas on the back once before clearing his throat. "Best of luck Thomas Shelby."

Tommy looked up, disoriented. "T-Thank you, Doctor."