Chapter Twenty

Lilura

The morning sun sharply glares into my face. I grumble before getting out of the very comfortable bed. I quickly get ready in a simple, white, cotton dress. I go down the very long staircase to the main floor where Willa stands at the fire.

"Good morning dear, how did you sleep?" She asks, noticing me when she turns away from a steaming kettle.

"Quite well thank you. And you?"

"I slept alright. As well as anyone can in my age. And dear, don't be so proper. You're here to learn not be polite," she says. She wobbled by me to a shelf where she pulls down a small basket filled with apples. "For you." She hands me one.

"Thank you. I'm sorry to have offended you," I say staring at the red surface of the Apple.

"Nonsense, you couldn't possibly offend me. Now," she says while going to the door, "into town. There's a man I want to meet for certain items." She looks at me with a twinkle in her eyes.

We walk through town after having eaten our breakfast of apples. Willa is looking ahead with determination. Meanwhile, I look around the many stores and bustling people with curiosity.

A woman stands by a blank, brick building. She waves to anyone who passes with a smirk. She wiggles her fingers at a particularly handsome man. He nods his head and ducks into the building. She looks around before following.

There's a man with a small cap who holds his fingers tightly while looking at his feet. He stands by a cart with fresh fruits. An elderly man examines the oranges. He waves off the one working the cart and turns to the boy. He barks something, and the boy jumps, scrambling to follow the man.

I notice Willa has gotten ahead and I quickly scurry to follow her. My dress floats behind me, but I feel it catch on something. I turn to see the elderly man grabbing onto it. It's lifted higher than my waist. My cheeks flush.

"Please sir, would you mind?" I say, trying to tug my dress back.

"Now what's a pretty thing like you doing out in the street?" He snarls ignoring my pleas.

"Let me go." I try to pry his meaty fingers off my dress.

"I think I should bring you home, a little toy for me," he purrs. He pulls me closer and growls in my ear. I feel his body heat rolling off of him.

"No, please," I beg, tears running down my face.

"What do you think? Boy!" He barks twisting to the boy cowering behind him. He jumps. "Leo! What do you think of my new pet?"

"Lilura, where have you-" Willa is up the street. I hear her start to say.

"Willa, please," I say.

"Don't talk to your dirty friend or she might be a pet with me too," he growls.

"Leroy Jenkins! Get your slimy hands off of my apprentice," Willa barks walking towards us. I feel static electricity in the air, crackling around my head.

"Willa-Sage, I should've known," Leroy says before backing away from me and letting go of my dress. I quickly smooth down my dress and back away towards Willa.

"Ow, you bitch!" Leroy says suddenly, holding his hand that held me.

"A little shock hurts a bit?" Cackles Willa.

"I'm so sorry, he just grabbed me, and I...I just- he wouldn't, and started saying-" I sob into Willa's shoulder.

"Oh dear, shh it's okay, he's a slimy scumbag," Willa says stroking my hair down. Willa glares at Leroy. Leo still cowers behind him.

"Stay away from Lilura or you'll get more than a small shock," she threatens. Leroy snarls before turning and prowling away.

"Leroy has a nasty tendency to take what isn't his. I think later in your training we will have you deal with him," Willa says, her eyes darkening. "Let's go." She stalks down the street towards a dark, wooden cart.

There's a small woman with greasy, curly hair behind the counter. She smiles as we approach, and I spot decaying teeth with greying gums.

"Mary, Mary, Mary," Willa says once we reach the counter. "Darling please let me introduce my new apprentice, Lilura. She's a bright one."

"Thank you-"

"Lilura, let's not touch or speak alright?" I nod, immediately grabbing my palms.

"Now, I remember last time I was here you said you'd have a lovely bit of wolf fur? Perhaps a vial of siren water?" I watch the woman behind the counter carefully. She smiles, showing her teeth again.

"Yes, oh I have those both for you-"

"Lovely, I'll take them both."

"That will be four golden pieces. Each."

"That's way too much, and you know it." I grip my palms tighter. A small drop of blood falls to the cobblestone.

"I bet you could pay. If not, witch blood comes just as expensive, if not..more," the woman says with a smile at me. Willa looks at me and my hands. Her gaze follows to the ground where there's a drop of crimson on the ground. Willa grabs my hand and holds it tightly against hers. The blood smearing against her wrinkled skin.

"That's not for sale. Six pieces, you know wolf fur isn't exactly legal to sell. You need to get rid of it," Willa says. The air crackles again.

"Fine, but Willa," the woman says, pausing, "next time I won't be so generous. And go home, you reek of magic and I don't like magic near me or my items."

Willa snarls, and I tug my hand back, holding it on my heart. I feel a wetness on my chest, my dress will be stained.

She pays the woman and we leave for the tree. The whole walk home, Willa grumbles about the price and how people treat magic.

"They are so judgmental.  They paid for our help. Begged even. And now, the mere hint of magic they screech and moan about it. Bumbling idiots."

I nod and smile whenever she looks at me, wondering what changed. Why were all these people so nice, but turned. Is it why Everette was so nervous to let me leave? When I think of him, I remember his smile, and the way his lips felt in my memory. An iron hand grips my heart, and I squeeze my palms. My hand having left my chest once we entered the forest.

Willa and I walk through the trees, me in my white dress, a bloody handprint on my chest, more blood dripping from my palms. Willa is a grey dress, a basket hanging on her arm. She wobbled with a scowl and every so often the air crackles, making the hair in my arm stand on its end.

________________________________
A/N

Wow, a lot just happened. So this chapter is a bit more intense than I thought it would be, but I'm super proud of it. And I know you guys might have some questions, so here is what I might think you need answering. Comment any others and I'll try to answer them.

Why did Willa change?
You're not wrong, so developing Willa's character is hard. She changed pretty quickly. And I can't give away why she changes, but it has to do with her magic and remember the conversation Everette had before Lilura left.

Who is Leroy?
He's a man who lives in the town. He kidnaps teenagers to be used for servitude and slavery in all forms. He's a cruel man, that's kinda it. Sorry

Who is the woman?
She is a wandering tradesperson, specializing in magical items, many of which are illegal.

That's all the questions I thought you might have, but comment any others. Please vote too.

As always, I hope you enjoy the story. Thanks