Chapter Seventeen

Lilura

After arriving at the docks and considerable struggle by the two fired men and my trunk, we arrive at the Red Kingdom.

The emerald trees sway in a gentle wind that caresses my face with loving tendrils. Birds chirp and a distant howl reverberates around us. And there's a hum. Of energy or magic, I don't know, but the ground quivers and vibrates around me. I feel the pull of the magic, it seeps into me and draws out my own power. It coaxes it out, to dance with the wind and ply in the sea.

A large thud breaked my reverie and I glance back. The two men had dropped my trunk and were sitting on it with deep scowls. A crew member snaps something at them, and they got up quickly with even deeper scowls.

I turn back to the forest and star at the growing expanse of trees. And for the first time since regaining part of my memories, I feel content. And whether it be the magic seeping into me or the peacefulness of the trees, I know Everette, Alan, and I made the right choice.

I heard footsteps behind me and saw Everette walking towards me. He looked less pale and he seemed more sure on his feet. But before he could reach me, a series of carriages pulled up with pure white horses pulling them. Their white manes shone like silver in the sun and their hooves glinted like gold. I quickly went up to one and held out my hand for the lovely creature to sniff. After it didn't react, I traced its neck it's shoulder blade. I could feel the tight bundles of muscle and the soft, well-cared for coat.

Everette and I raced along the water, the hooves of our horses kicking up sand behind us. I could feel the spray of the sea when our horses stepped into the water. I was pulling ahead, but there was something beyond me. A black cloud full of crackling lightning.

"Lilura?" Everette taps me on the should, so I quickly spin to face him, catching my breath after my vision.

"I, I am so sorry my Cap- Everette," I say, my voice quivers slightly he let and my hands shake.

"It is quite alright, here," he offers his arm and we hobble to the nearest carriage. I climb into the deep purple interior and Everette follows. The carriage was comfortable, but small. The sun cast its light through red curtains, making the inside glow warmly. I felt a lurch as we began to move.

The journey was short with no words between Everette and I. Despite my earlier feeling that this was the right choice, my stomach churns. Nerves push up my throat and my hands shake the nearer we get to the witch's hut. With every bump in the road, I feel a pull on my sternum to the magic and a pulse of butterflies in my stomach.

I feel the carriage jerk to a stop and Everette rises to open the door, but before he can, a young boy opens it and holds it for us to climb out. As we find our way to the ground, I look around us.

We're in a clearing where grass extends a few feet in every direction from us and then tall trees sprout from the ground and tickle the sky.  A gentle breeze carries my dress and twirls it around my ankles. I walk towards the front of the carriage, humming in a small attempt to stop the butterflies. I pass the magnificent horses who are neighing and shaking their heads making their neatly combed mane tangle and knot. I walk past them to see where the road leads, but it stops where the roots of a large oak begin. I follow the roots trail to an even bigger tree. The trunk is as wide as the two of the carriages and extends hundreds of feet into the air. Its branches extends higher than most of the trees around, but are certainly the thickest. Any other tree that reaches as high is spindly and looks like it's straining to reach another inch up. The oak towers above us sending waves of magic through the air.

I inhale and feel the power enter me, immediate calming my anxiety.

A large blue door stands in the trunk and porch wraps around its base, a small rocking chair wobbling back and forth in the breeze. I let out a breathe and take a step closer to the oak. I can only assume by mentor, the witch lives in the tree.

While the boy, Everette, and I unload my trunk, an older woman hobbles out of door and stands on the porch by the rocking chair.

We set down my trunk and I sit upon it, looking at the canopy of leaves above us. I spot Everette pull the boy to the other side of the carriage and out of earshot.

"The Sky is a lovely shade of blue today," a warm voice says. I let out a squeak and quickly stand. The woman is standing in front of me. She's dresses in a simple, cotton dress that hangs to the ground. Her gray hair stands every direction and wobbles as she moves. Her blue eyes glance over me as she smiles.

"I- um, hello. I'm-"

"I know who you are. I am Willa-Sage, but please call me Willa. Now if you want to follow me," she says. Her voice was like honey with sweet words that wrap around you and stick. I tuck my hair around my fingers, playing with the strand. She wished me to leave so quickly, so soon.

"Wait, I have to say goodbye, and my trunk," I quickly say. Willa turns, and I catch sight of her earrings. Their gold chains hang down from her ears and tickle her shoulder, a glass bead on the end of the chain. In the beads, bluish smoke sailed around. I see shapes and shadows darting, but if I try to make out what they are, they're gone.

"Go, say your goodbyes. You won't be the same and they should say goodbye to you as you are. I'll take care of your trunk," she says, waving a hand. I open my mouth to protest, that I could take my trunk. But she flicks her wrist and a whisper of white smoke spirals from her fingertips. The smoke wraps around my trunk and carries it behind Willa as she hobbles to her door. I close my mouth and turn to find Everette, Willa's words hanging in my mind. I knew I would change, but she makes it seem as though I will no longer be Lilura. I'll be a different person all together. The thought leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

He is still behind the carriage, whispering with the boy. When I walk up to them, their words quickly fade on their tongues.

"I, I am leaving. Willa-Sage, she said I should say goodbye-" before I could say more, Everette wraps his arms around me in a hug.

I grasp onto him, and we stand holding each other for several long moments.

"Perhaps when I see you again, all will be well?" I whisper. He nods.

"Perhaps, that would be perfect." I snuggle I to his chest and breathe in the smell of him. Finally I let go and step back. I hurriedly wipe away the few tears that fell onto my face.

"I should, I must-" he nods and I quickly run to Willa's door. If I look back, I'm not sure I would leave him. But I must.

It's for the better.

________________________________
A/N

Hello lovely readers. I think this is halfway through the book. I hope you're enjoying the story so far. Please vote and comment, it would mean a lot.

Thank you!

-Butterfly Typewriter