Part One: What Wise Tales These Must Be

"Mama, tell me a story," a little girl said. Her chestnut hair sticking out in all directions, her hazel eyes bright.

"I already told you one. You have to go to sleep," her mother told her, stroking her hair. The little girl looked up and pouted.

"But I can't sleep without another story," the girl whined. The mother smiled.

"Okay, but only if you promise to sleep after." The girl nodded, clapping her hands. She snuggles into the side of her mother and looked up with her wide eyes. The mother laughed and began her story..:

There was a princess with white skin like snow and black hair like night. Her lips were red like blood, but her soul was the kindest soul to ever walk the Earth. Those who met her were blessed to meet her. They all spoke in awe of her gentle spirit.

"Mama! This isn't a story!" The little girl whined.

"Shh it's backstory. Listen."

This princess was walking through the forest one day. When she came across the Queen, her mother. She had never seen her mother before and was taken aback by her beauty. She had the same black hair and pale complexion. The Queen's lips we're just as pale as her face, however. The Queen was envious of her daughter's beauty and her kindness. The Queen didn't have her daughter's kind soul or love for life. In envy, the Queen blinded her daughter.

The princess sunk into herself and became deeply saddened. Until she found herself walking through the forest where she had first met her mother, she came across a fox. It's fur was as soft as the summer wind and its kindness matched the princess's.  The fox told the princess its name was Alepou and he followed her around, leading her away from danger.

But the Queen was still envious of her daughter. So she waited for her greatest trick yet for when two souls in love came into play, the Queen knew it was far more interesting of a game.

"What's that mean?" The little girl's wide eyes begged for the answer.

"You'll have to find out tomorrow night, but go to sleep first," the mother whispered. "Now sleep." She kissed the little  girl's forehead and slipped out of bed and into the hallway, closing the fire behind her. The little girl's soft breathes filled the room quickly as she drifted into a deep sleep.