Chapter Eighteen

Everette

As soon as Lilura, the boy, and I set down Lilura's trunk, I grab the boy and pull him behind the carriage, out of earshot from Lilura.

"What is this?" I demand. My voice is sharp and the boy's face pales.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, this witch, it is Willa-Sage, is it not?"

"I- yes sir."

"Then why, does her house reek of dark magic? The whole forest does." The boy pales further.

"I- sir, have you not heard?"

"No, spit it out," I snap. The boy's eyes dart around quickly, trying to find a way out, or to see if anyone is listening.

"Sir, there was a terrible murder. The North Pack Alpha and the King. Since then, the magic turned dark-"

"Of all witches?" He shakes his head and his floppy hair swings wildly.

"No, just a few. Three I believe. Two were ordered to be killed by the Queen. The third is Willa-Sage. She apparently helped the Queen, and therefore was given her life."

"What is she capable of?"

"Many things. She is kind and wishes to help, but the magic, the magic it-"

"Yes?" I growl.

"The magic holds her. It's hard for her to use it for good. She can, but it is tiring." I nod, pondering this new information.

"Can she help Lilura?"

"Sir, I, it's not my place to say. But, I, I believe so. Willa-Sage changes with every minute, she is kind to her core. It's the magic that corrupts, not her mind."

"Then, she can help?"

"Yes sir, if not with teaching her spells, but how to control it."

"Control what?" His face flushes as he mumbles something.

"Rumors, sorry sir. People off the ship say things."

"Like what?" What were my crew saying behind my back?

"That, that she lost control. Hurt someone on board, that's why you're sending her to learn. Gain control," he says quietly.

"You're not wrong, but I strongly advise you not to share those rumors. Willa-Sage?"

"Can teach without using," he confirms. I nod.

"Then Lilura?"

"I believe she will be alright, I- sir," the boy quickly stops speaking, staring at something over my shoulder. I turn to see Lilura, nervously tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"I, I am leaving. Willa-Sage, she said I should say goodbye-" she says. She turns to quickly leave, but I quickly pull her into a tight hug.

Shes grasps onto me, and we stand holding each other for several long moments.

"Perhaps when I see you again, all will be well?" She whispers. I feel the fear in her quivering voice. And I am not sure if she will, but she needs comfort. I nod.

"Perhaps, that would be perfect," I say. She tucks her head further into my chest and squeezes me tightly before letting go. Her fingers brush tears away, and her lip trembles.

"I should, I must-" but I nod before she can force the sentence out. She turns and quickly runs to a large oak with a wooden door. She doesn't look behind her while she knocks on the door.

The smell of dark magic grows stronger as Lilura stands waiting for Willa-Sage to open the door. I sigh, and run a hand through my hair.

It's for the better.