Chapter Five

Lilura

Alan enters my room, hits boots clunky against my floor. Voices and hollowing wind flood into my room. The wave of chaotic sound hits me. I leap to my feet.

"Alan, how may I help you?"

"The Captain wishes for you to go below deck during the storm." His eyes flicker over my room. I cross my arms and pout. I already told Everette I couldn't go below deck. "I'm sorry, but it's not negotiable." I twist my hands, stating over my vanity at the ocean. I hum before standing and stepping to Alan. He scowls, hand on his sword.

"Fine, but tell my Captain I will not be pleased if my room is ruined." I huff and storm pass Alan, forcing the door open. A burst of wind hits me, blowing my curls back. Water pours from the sky and waves leap over the ship and splash to the deck. Blayze runs past me, nearly making me tumble to the soaked deck. I see Everette standing in the center of the deck. He yells to a younger crew member before rushing to his side and helping to tie a barrel down. He stands and catches sight of me. He gives a curt nod and Alan's hand grasps me, swerving me to the steps heading below deck.

The smell of wet gunpowder hits me first. Then the smell of twenty I showered men hits me. Alan escorts me past their bunks, where the smell is strongest and to the kitchen. The scent of cooking stew fills me, banishing the smell of before. A large man with kind eyes and a silver beard smiles at me.

"Lilura my dear. How lovely, tell me what would you like?" Walter asks. He smiles and I'm warmed from my toes. I had forgotten Walter was our cook on our trip. He rarely comes up from the kitchen. I rush to him and give him a hug. He laughs in surprise before returning the gesture. I let go and seat myself on a barrel, my bad mood gone. I glance to Alan whet she leans against the doorframe leading to the kitchen. He smiles before pivoting and returning to the brutal winds above.

"Thank you Walter. Forgive me, I didn't visit you." I twist my hands in my lap before one reaches up and twists my wet hair around it.

"No, no my dear. I understand. But in honor of ye visit tonight, fresh bread." I nod at his booming laugh. The candles flicker as the oven warms us while the wind howls outside, rocking the ship.

Minute turn to hours as the harsh clouds and weather refuses to leave us. Walter and I have eaten a loaf of bread, many apples, and opened one of the many bottles of rum. It is nearly half empty when a knock reaches us. I giggle while swaying to the door. My feet drag behind me as my fingers float upwards, pulling my arms above me. The gentle rocking of the ship makes me sway. I trip over a chair and a burst of laughter fills the room. I hear Walter let out a loud belch before I open the door.

"Lilura, it smells of rum- have you been drinking?" Incredulity laces his voice, his eyes are dark and tired.

"My royal Captain hic I have been doing nothing of the hic sort. Walter and I have been hic catching up," I giggle. I cover my mouth and begin to hum. The sound is shaky as it tries to disguise my giggles. Walter grunts, falling asleep. I look over my shoulder at the large man. He leans against the wall. His head weighs down to his chest as he lets out a snore.

"Walter!" Everette's sharp voice jolts his awake. He hastily stands and sways before nearly falling again. "Did you get Lilura drunk?" Anger is etched in every word. I shudder, suddenly much more sober. I grab Everette's arm in an effort to pull him away from Walter, but he shakes me off. I hum and twist my hands nervously.

"Everette, he didn't—"

"I don't want to hear from you right now. I sent you here for safety and you get drunk during a storm!"

"But I would have stayed in my room if you didn't force Alan to take me down here. And you won't explain why I saw butterflies!" Hot tears prick my eyes and my voice shakes. My fingernails dig into my palms.

"It was a dream—"

"Don't you dare tell me it was a dream! I know what I saw, and that was not a dream, not matter what I said earlier!" Blood begins to spread across my palms and trickle to the edge of my hand, where it hands before dropping to the floor.

"Lilura, please calm down." Everette reaches to me and tucks me against his chest. I clench my hands tighter as blood soaks into his wet shirt. All the anger of before has left him, and the intoxicating smell of sea fills me rather than rum. I breathe in the scent of saltwater. Walter's snores fill the room once again.

"You have to explain what my butterflies meant."

"I will," he whispers into my hair. He steps away from me and looks down to my clenched hands and the blood dripping off them. "Lilura?"

"I don't wish to discuss it. I will return to my room." I quickly turn on my heel and leave the room. I walk to my room, through the lessening wind. I slam my door shut and collapse onto my bed.

I tear my wet clothes off my body and change into a silk nightgown. I snuggle into my covers and pull a pillow over my ears in an attempt to muffle the harrowing wind. Soon sleep claims me and I soak into my dreams.

They're filled with twisted smoke, butterflies on fire, pouring rain, and Everett waking through it all. He walks past the smoke and burning insects, to me. He wraps his strong arms around me and I feel—

I feel like I belong. More so than I ever have. More than on his ship, more than when he hugged me earlier. More than when I awoke in the woods, in Everette's arms. No memory or sight except my name. Lilura. He took me to his ship and took me to three witches, the third gave me my sight. He's been trying to give me my thoughts, my memories back. They were taken away before I feel asleep. Fell asleep without sight, without memory, without my love.

The smoke swallows Everette and my world fades to black again.