The lake house

Depuis le début

*

"Don't flatter yourself," Celia spat the words when the break came. "My chauffeur will pick you up every day after work; I'm not going to waste my time at the library like all the other nerds," she said loud enough for Ben and Steph to hear. Then, she passed by Ferry with a stiff upper nose.

Ferry didn't know what to believe anymore. Matilda looked just as confused. "Ferry, you have to be careful," she said. "I think she's up to something."

"Don't worry," he told her. "It's only for a week."

But the truth was that he was also confused by the situation. He had to be careful.

The next day, Ferry discovered Mr. Haughty's car on the main driveway of Pride Mansion. The days began to get brighter as spring was getting closer, a sign the entire town was awakening after the cold, long winter's sleep.

From the car, Ferry could watch the town like a spectator. On the smooth road to the residence of the Haughty family, which was at the other edge of the town, Ferry could see the town preparing for the night— the people coming from the factory, heading to their homes or making a small stop at the grocery store for a last-minute purchase; the mothers calling for their children to come for dinner.

Still in the car, he saw his father. He was heading, as usual, to the tavern just like after every working day. He looked worse than the last time he had seen him—his body had become thinner, his face withered, and his eyes were clogged in the eye sockets. For a moment, he had the feeling his father saw him, behind the car's window. But his gaze was lost, and any glimmer of life had disappeared. With his sloping shoulders, Peter continued his way as if he was sleepwalking.

His father's image troubled him so much, he gave up looking through the window and remained silent and lost in his thoughts the whole way. He didn't even realize when they arrived.

He got out of the car and explored the surroundings. He had only seen the Haughty residence in flight. For some reason, it had never drawn him. Located on the southern side of the town, the Haughty Mansion was built after the model of villas by the sea even in the absence of the sea. 

The entrance announced by the lavish porch, the facades of a bright white, the tiled red roof, the wooden shutters that decorated the facades, the terraces that delimited the back of the house and the natural stone applied for the contrast on the facades, all these elements were meant to show the luxury and the wealth of the Haughty family. If the Pride Mansion was majestic, dark and mysterious, Haughty's residence was the exact opposite. White, bright and lush, it looked like a destination for an exotic vacation. Even the trees around the domain were brought from far warm countries: palm trees, olive trees or cypress trees.

Ferry followed the driver down the alley of white river stones, carefully polished that shone even now when the night was falling. He entered the main entrance where he was met by a butler with a streak in his hair that kept it separated in two halves. He was wearing white satin gloves. He took Ferry's coat with stiff movements as if he was playing a role.

He led Ferry into the large drawing-room of the house, stopping at the entrance and announcing ceremoniously, "You can wait here. Miss Haughty will be down in a minute."