I saw the Captain in his Underwear

I Saw the Captain in his Underwear:

I clench my eyes closed for the thousandth time, trying to remember the formulae in my head - an unsuccessful effort.  My head pounds, exhausted from the hours of strenuous studying that has resulted in no avail - my lack of sleep another substandard factor.  All these years attending Riseford University, and I still haven't got this whole studying thing down.

"If you don't keep your grades up, you're off the team Edmond."  Coach's words repeat through my head, guiding my eyes back down to the paper.  The vibrations of party music flowing through the walls a tease - that could be me, but I have to study.  Lame.

My eyes drift out the window, observing the peaceful courtyard.  A gentle breeze sifts through the generous shrubbery adorning the paved pathway - the brick pavement trapping me in a procrastinated gaze.  

A shadowy figure sprinting down the path steals my attention, his bright red jacket disappearing with him as he dives into the bushes, hiding from his approaching pursuers, aka, members of the University football team.  If anyone was to recognise the football team, it would be me.   He sinks lower, their eyes scanning the surrounding greenery - oblivious to his close proximity.

His eyes snap up to mine, my elevated perspective exposing his hiding spot - a look of confusion, curiosity perhaps, flashes across his lids as he pulls a finger up to his lip, urging me to stay silent.  I contemplate it as I watch my team mates search for him, before finally conceding. 

"I think I saw him go this way!"  One of them shouts as they progress on their path, missing him as he hides idly in the bush.  He flicks a smile up to me as we both watch them run off in the wrong direction - eliciting a giggle in response from me.  Finally, something entertaining is finally happening tonight.  As I return my attention back to the bush, the boy in the red jacket is gone - concealed by the cloak of night.

Finding anything other than my studying as a good excuse, I cede to my slumber-hungry brain, and retire to bed.  Stripping down to my underwear,  the blankets wrap around me like a warm hug as I ease into my duvet.  Drifting off to the land of sleep, the comforting silence is slashed away.

My eyes flutter open, a thud on my floor obliterating the peaceful tranquility of my bedroom - the eerily disturbed silence pulling me out of my light slumber;  the once comfortable darkness now a facade for the hidden unknown.

"Ow, my ribs."  A husky voice whispers from the darkness - sending an icy chill down my spine.  I instinctively reach for my light switch.  The single bulb comes to life, a wide-eyed stranger looking back at me - the school trophy wrapped under his arm.

Air rushes into my lungs as a high pitch scream leaves my throat;  he drops the trophy, lunging towards my bed and body slamming onto me - a hand clamping over my lips.

"Please.  Please.  Stop squealing.  Please.  I'm not here to hurt you, I would never hurt you, I promise.  If they catch me, I'll be done for.  It's just a prank, I promise!"  His minty breath wisps across my lashes as he stares down at me, his thighs pinning down my wriggling frame beneath his weight - my resistance a meagre attempt against his toned frame.  

My opposition dies down as our eyes connect, his emerald lenses staring at me with an intent fire, that simultaneously offers a cooling calmness - furrowed brows signalling both caution and challenge.

"I'm going to release my hand now.  You promise you won't scream?"  I contemplate his offer, the green specs in his eyes a comforting reassurance, almost as if he stole them straight off of a puppy - the look effortlessly seducing me into conformity.  I nod - his hand slowly slides off my face, but his thighs stay wrapped around my waist.

"Who the fuck are you?  And what are you doing in my university dorm?"  I mumble out, lowering my volume to a whisper as the voices from the courtyard start circling back around the dorm.

"This isn't usually how I introduce myself, but I'm Justin Cornwell.  I'm a student at Buckingham University...and I'm kind of trying to steal your school trophy."  He finishes his sentence off with a beaming smile - the harsh luminescent lighting unable to dull his sharp, defined features.