The Carnival Comes to Town

The Carnival Comes to Town:

"Hey.  Are you even listening to me Edmond?"  My mind snaps back to reality, my salad destroyed by my elongated fork-twirling - Tralee looking at me curiously, the sunlight highlighting her beaming blue pupils.
"Are you still having trouble sleeping baby?  Maybe I can buy you a new pillow or something?"

"Sorry, my mind was somewhere else."  I reach out my hand, swiping it across hers - her smooth skin a comforting touch.  "And no, I surprisingly had a good sleep.  I actually had a great sleep."  I leave out the reason as to why my sleep was so great, not wanting to upset her with news of a stranger from Buckingham breaking into my room.

"That's good.  I know you haven't been sleeping well for months.  Do you think it was those crystals that I bought you a while back."  I ponder the question - silently confessing that those inanimate rocks did absolutely nothing.

"Yeah.  I think it was the auras of those...crystal things.  Thanks for them baby."  She giggles, impressed with her contributions.  We return back to our salads, the noise of the student population filling the University food court.
"Hey Babe."  She looks up at me, placing her phone face-down on the table.  "I heard that the carnival just came in for the weekend. Maybe I could win you a teddy bear or something?" I ask playfully.

"Nawwww babe!  That sounds so cute!" She replies - my giddy smile excited about my childhood obsession coming into the city.  "But I'm so sorry!  I can't come!  Me and the girls are having a pamper night tonight."  My smiles falls away, visibly flustered by the sudden turn of the conversation.

"Oh that's algoods.  I didn't really want to go anyways, it's just dumb clowns and stuff.  I've got heaps of study to do as well, I just thought maybe you'd want to or something."  The lie slips effortlessly through my lips, masquerading my disappointment - Tralee shrugging the suggestion off.

"Okay welp.  I'm going to meet up with the girls now.  I'll see you later baby."  She plants a kiss on my cheek, her thin figure sashaying away, leaving me immersed in the busy student body - my hand still destroying the same salad I started with.

**********

The sizzling water trickles down my body - the remnants of soap lather disappearing down the drain as the flow of water halts, the steam of the shower escaping into the room as I open the door - pausing to admire myself in the steamy mirror.

My dark brown snail trail cascades down my abs, halting as I wrap a towel around my waist - my hair still wet;  scattered droplets dispersed over my tanned skin.  I pump my coconut moisturiser out, lathering it over my skin - adding a subtle glow before I pull on my shirt and boxers, ready to spend the rest of the afternoon stuck at my desk studying.

A heavy sigh escapes my lip as I open my textbook, sliding into my desk chair - a position I torture myself with daily - the monotonous words already evoking boredom before I've even started.

The clock ticks continuously in the background, the afternoon horizon slowly morphing into the pitch black of nighttime - my eyes re-reading the same line for the tenth time, failing once again to comprehend the sentence.  I sigh loudly, leaning back in my chair and rubbing my eyes, before resuming my studying.

A light thud at my window draws my attention upwards, my seated position revealing nothing - dismissing the sound as I resume back to study.  My reading is stopped again, the thud becoming more audible as a stone swipes against the glass.
Curiously, I open my window;  Justin standing outside, adorned by none other then his red jacket - my blue patch still near the pocket.

"Finally.  I've been trying to get you to open your window for ages - how else am I supposed to break into your room?"  He whines, climbing up the nearby gutter and in through my window.

"How the fuck are you in my room for the second night in a row?"  I ask as he readjusts himself, his familiar cologne wafting around him.

"I was bored, and I just happened to be in the area...so I thought I'd pop in."  I dismiss his reasoning, sitting down at my desk - the distractions from studying even more amplified with his presence.

"Is this what the captain of the Riseford Football team is doing on a Friday night?  Studying in his room by himself?  No sugar from your girl tonight?  Is it because you're ugly.  Nah jokes.  You're not."  I roll my eyes at his mocking tone - closing my textbook;  admitting that I don't really care about it after all.

"We can't all just go around stealing trophies.  And plus my Coach says I have to-"  My answer is stopped in its tracks as he places his finger on my lips, silencing me.

"Uh uh.  I don't want to hear about your excuses for wasting a Friday night.  We have to do something."  I look at him, perplexed, his green eyes a screen into the turning cogs in his head.  "We're not gonna do something lame, like go to the movies."  I nod in agreement - my disdain for the movie theatres deriving from childhood boredom; fused together with uncomfortable seating and overpriced food.

"Oh shit.  I know what we can do tonight!"  His enticingly excited eyes drawing in my attention.  "This new carnival thing just came into town, we should totally go!  Well...if you want to.  You don't even have to.  I don't really care.  You've probably got other plans."

He drops his gaze as he continues rambling, his tone drifting as he tries to play off the idea.  I take a breath, stifling my growing excitement - trying to remain calm and composed.

"I'D LOVE TO GO."  I internally face palm as my excitement fuels my voice, resulting in me yelling at him - unable to hide my love for the carnival.  The fire reunites in his eyes as our gazes connect, a simultaneous giggle erupting from both of us.  "Just give me 5 minutes, I need to get dressed first."

With newfound energy I rush out of my chair, stripping my shirt off as I reach through my wardrobe - picking out two shirts, unsure of which one to wear.

"Which one of these should I wear with a pair of jeans I'll put on?"  I ask Justin, comfortable with my exposed chest out.  He's slept in my bed, he can see me without a shirt.

"How about neither of them."  He bites his lip, his playful tone evoking an eye roll as I make the executive decision and choose the tan one.  Sliding on my jeans and shoes, I take one last look in the mirror - eyeing the sky outside, dismissing the need for a jacket.

"Alright.  I'm ready to go."  He hops off of the bed, heading back to his usual entrance:  the window.

"Um...you can use my actual door;  we can just go through the lobby."  He looks back at me, amused by finally actually getting the chance to use my door.  "After you M'lady."  I say as he walks out, receiving a scoff in response.

"Eddy, you know damn well you're the lady."  My stomach flutters at the nickname, finally noticing it for the first time - I wipe the feeling away, laughing as I close my door as we head downstairs.

Fuck yes.  I love the carnival.

A/N

Welp this is a bit of a cute chapter - the next one is going to get a little...dare I say...spicy.
What are your guys renewed thoughts on the characters?  And how do you feel about Edmond's girlfriend now that she's been introduced!?

I wonder what's going to happen at the carnival...;)

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, feel free to leave thoughts and opinions in the comments below!  :-)

- YOP