chapter 36

Three days later, at the end of her shift, Klaus was waiting for Reet in the parking lot beside Niyasa, a cigarette between his fingers, propped against his black Volvo like he was posing for a photo shoot.

They hadn’t spoken more than a handful of words—always polite, always professional—since the night almost two months ago when he’d admitted the affair. Reet had begun to relax in his presence, to even hope that Natasha’s indiscretion would stay buried with her. Klaus clearly had other plans.

“She looks like Stefan, Reet ,” Klaus greeted, grinding out the cigarette with the toe of his pointy black boot. “Natasha’s little girl. She looks like him.” He pushed off the car and approached her Car.

She had her keys in her hand—she always had her keys ready before leaving the building.
“Don’t you think she looks like him,Reet ?” Klaus pressed.

“I think she looks like Natasha,” Reet said. Her hands had begun to shake, making her keys jangle.

“I hadn’t gotten a good look at her before. But when Varun brought her in a couple weeks ago . . . I saw her. I saw her, and she looks like him.”

“What are you trying to say, Klaus?” Reet’s heart was knocking against her breasts, and she wanted to fold her arms over her chest to keep it still. But she steeled herself instead, meeting his gaze.

“What if she’s his daughter?” Klaus insisted. “I need to know that, don’t I?”

Reet stared at him, horrified. His point was imminently reasonable while threatening utter devastation.

“Why?” Reet breathed. “Do you suddenly want to be a Uncle? And Stefan wants to be a Dad? ”

“No. Not particularly. But . . . if I am the little girl’s Uncle—”

“Her name is Gia. Gia Khanna. She has a name,” she hissed.

“Right. Gia. If I am Gia’s Uncle, I want to know. And I want Stefan to know. I want Varun to know that. ”

Again, Reet paused, her eyes pouring over his face, trying to understand, to glean motive and malice, to unearth intent. He looked away, clearing his throat and folding his arms.

“Why would you do that to Varun? He’s her father. He’s been her father since the day she was born. He’s done all the work. You haven’t. And why would you do that to her? Why would you complicate things this way?”

“Look at her. She looks just like Stefan, Like us ” he huffed.

Reet had looked, and Gia did look like Stefan. No one would put it together, but the moment you suspected, it wasn’t hard to see.

“Secrets have a way of coming out, Reet. It’s gonna come out,” he warned, shoving his hands into his pockets and taking a few steps toward her.

“So, you’re going to go to Varun, and you’re going to tell him you think that his daughter is actually your brother's daughter? Are you going to sue for parental rights? Force him to fight for his daughter in court? What?” It was all she could do to keep her voice level, to maintain eye contact, to not attack him with clawed fingers and snapping teeth.

“If I have to.” He sounded almost apologetic, like he knew what he was saying made him an asshole, but there was no other way to get what he wanted.

“If you have too? Your  brother slept with his wife, and now you guys want to take his child?”

“I think she’s belongs to us, to Stefan.” He shrugged. “But maybe we can work something out. Me and you,” he said, moving so close she had to lift her chin to meet his gaze.

“Work something out?” she asked, her voice flat.

“I need money, Reet.”

She wasn’t following, and her heart was still caught in the horror of his threat.

“W-what?”

“I need . . . cash,” he repeated.
“I’ve gotten myself into a little trouble that only money can fix. If you can help me, I’ll stay away from  Varun and the little girl.”

She was reeling, angry, but most of all confused. “You want me to pay you off?”

He had the conscience to look uncomfortable, but he nodded, defiant. “I need money.”

“What assurance do I have that you’ll stay away once I give you the money? I wasn’t born yesterday, Klaus.”

“Varun seems like he’s a decent guy. I know she’s in good hands.”
Klaus said, magnanimous. “I don’t want to hurt anyone.”

Reet wanted to laugh. As if that was what this was about. Klaus didn’t give a shit about the kind of hands Gia was in. He was playing a role. A part. And he wasn’t playing it well.

“I need that money, Reet. I’ll take it, and I’ll go.”

“You’ll go? You’ll leave the salon?”

“I’ll go to L.A. or New York. I want bigger and better than This. I made more in one weekend at the Sundance Film Festival than I make in two months here. There’s money working for big names. I’ll go, and no one will be the wiser.”

“How much money are we talking about?”

“Fifteen grand would probably do it.”

“Holy shit, Klaus!”

He folded his arms, defensive, but he didn’t amend his price.

“Why do you think I have that kind of money?” she asked.

“You live in a dump. You drive a old car. You shop at low price Store. But you make good money. You’re a saver, Reet. I bet you tuck away every last dime.” He smiled at her fondly like her frugality was adorable.

“Who are you?” Reet said, shaking her head. “I feel like I don’t even know you.”

He shrugged. “Who am I? I’m kinda thinkin’ I’m Gia’s Uncle.”
The words made her shudder, her vision swam.

“We’re friends, Reet. I like you. You like me. I hate that it’s come to this.”

“Why has it come to this, Klaus? Nobody’s making you do it.”
He shifted and looked at her sorrowfully before pursing his lips and tossing his long, blond hair back off his face.

“We are willing to give her up. But We just think we deserve something in return,” he coaxed.

Give her up?  scoffed so hard she choked. She’d always known Klaus and his brother were shallow. Vain. But she’d never been threatened by his faults. Everyone had them, and he was a good stylist. She’d even liked him.

She didn’t like him anymore. She hated him. And she was afraid he was going to hurt the people she loved most. For the first time, Reet considered that Natasha hadn’t been trying to confess her affair with that picture. Maybe she’d been trying to warn Reet.

“All right, Klaus. I’ll pay. I’ll pay, and you leave. And I don’t ever want to see you again.”

That was chapter 36 guy's. Hope y'all like it.

So Klaus has started blackmailing Reet! Do you think Reet will be able to deal with all the mess.

What will be Varun's reaction to all happenings?

A short update, I know, but I am trying to provide updates. So bear with me.

Tell me all your thoughts in comments below and don't forget to vote

Love to all,