6. Sweaters & Stitches

Ashley walked out of the washroom reluctantly hugging her body.

“You look great!” Carrie gasped.

“I don’t know. I don’t wear such tight clothes.” Ashley was trying out a sweater of Carrie’s. Carrie’s frame was smaller than Ashley’s. The sweater fit perfectly but Ashley wasn’t used to wearing clothes that fit just right.

“Oh stop it Ash. You look cute. Now let’s go downstairs, I’m starving.”

“I’d rather eat grass and dirt than putting another powdered donut in my mouth for breakfast or any meal of the day.”

“Well I’d rather eat the junk food than starve to death.”

Ashley closed the door behind them and stopped in front of Stephanie’s room.

“I still can’t believe it.” Carrie bit her bottom lip.

“It was horrible. I’m glad you didn’t see it. I still have the image stuck in my head.” Ashley winced.

“I can’t get your scream out of my head.”

The two girls walked away from the door and started walking down the stairs.

“Isn’t it weird how nothing has happened since the attack on Stephanie?” Carrie questioned.

“I know right? And it isn’t comforting at all. Anything can happen at anytime, anywhere.”

“Finally you two came down!” Harry announced at the girls’ arrival. “Food is still on the table.”

“Thanks.” Carrie smiled.

Ashley quietly groaned at the sight of the food on the table and the pain in her stomach due to hunger.

“You look adorable.” Louis came beside Ashley putting an arm around her waist and kissing her on the side of her head.

“Thank you.” she smiled as her cheeks were flushed with pink color.

“So Ashley, Harry was telling us you found a book on the Van Pelt family?” Niall asked.

“Yeah. It’s quite interesting. Some of the people were really cool.” she took a bite from the chocolate chip cookie.

“How so?” Liam wondered.

“Well, I believe it was Ronald Van Pelt who helped make the Coliseum Bridge in downtown. It’s possible our ancestors knew some of them.” Ashley shrugged.

“I don’t want anything to do with this family.” Carrie said.

“But there was something weird I noticed.”

“What?” Zayn asked.

“No Van Pelt died a peaceful death. I mean they all had tragic deaths. Suicide, murder, car accidents and so on.”

“I guess that’s why this place is haunted. The spirits or souls didn’t get to crossover and they’re still trapped here.” Harry said.

“Since when did you become a paranormal expert?” Louis asked amused.

“I didn’t. I watched some documentary on TV a few months back and it said something like that.”

“One thing’s for sure. Nothing has happened since the incident and that’s making me feel nervous as hell.” Carrie bit her bottom lip.

“We can’t do anything about it.” Niall shrugged.

Suddenly the grand chandelier in the large room started to chime as it swung back and forth. A few moments later a creaking and thumping sound came from the floor above as if there were people walking back and forth in the hallway between the bedrooms. The sound of a couple of young girls giggling followed after.