7

I felt completely drained that next morning. Luca pretty much fell asleep a couple minutes after we started talking so I was forced to try to do the same. I didn't actually end up falling asleep until 5:30 or so.

Now it was 6:30 and we were all seated around that same dining table. It was way too quiet though, so quiet that I could hear Luca on my left and Lilly on my right, chewing their food. I wasn't hungry, but they made you eat food here, so I just grabbed a couple of apple chunks and moved them around on my plate to look like I was eating them.

"He's fucked," Lilly leaned in and whispered to me, nodding in the direction of the one man I really didn't want to see right now.

I had managed to keep my head down and not look at anyone other than Luca or Lilly while I've been seated at the table, but now that changed. I looked up and over to my left to see Tony's disfigured face. His eyes were both black, one of them swollen shut, his head seemed twice it's normal size, and his lips were busted and inflated.

I quickly looked away as he looked up and at me with one eye. Luca nudged my side, "Don't look over there."

I shook my head and put one of the apple chunks in my mouth, "I'm not." Jesus Christ, they really did a number on him. I'm glad. He deserved everything that came his way and he probably still didn't learn his lesson.

There was a sudden shift in the mood. Everyone seemed to perk up, including Luca. "It's mamma D'Amico," he said while turning around.

Lilly and I exchanged confused glances, "Mamma D'Amico?" She asked and I shrugged in response. I knew just as much as she did about these people.

"Angelo's mommy," he said back.

Oh.

She turned around in her chair so I figured I could probably do the same and we both came face to face with a dark haired woman.

She was pretty for an older woman. Her dark hair was pulled loosely in a half updo, her face almost without wrinkles except for a few under her eyes. Her lips were plump and tinted a dark red, but they seemed to be in a permanent state of sadness. Just based on what Luca alone has said about her, she seemed like a nice woman, but her resting bitch face made her look everything but friendly.

Her lips twitched up in a smile as she scanned the table, her eyes eventually landing on Angelo as she ran over to hug him. "Mia vita," she wrapped her arms around his shoulder and planted a big, sloppy kiss on his cheek.

"She's such a sweet lady, she even loves a complete asshole," Luca said under his breath while laughing. "He's a goddamn Saint when she's around though so if you two have any special requests now is the time to bring them up."

The most insanely brilliant idea came to mind as soon as Luca said that.

I could use my insomnia to my advantage.

I gently put my fork down on the plate, I really wasn't hungry anyway, "And how would we bring this request up?" I asked. The sooner I could execute my plan, the better.

Luca gave me a curious look. It was almost as if he knew I was about to try something but he didn't care enough about his mob roots to try to stop me, "Um...I don't know. Just make sure his mamma is around when you do it."

I sat back in my chair and waited for everyone to eat their food. As the minutes went by more and more mafia men got up from the table to carry on with their days. Pretty soon the only people left were me, Tony, Angelo and his mother. Luca knew I was on a mission so he offered to take Lilly and keep her occupied while I waited.

As much as it pained me to be at the same table with these people, I had to do it. If my plan didn't work, at least I could say I tried.

I tried to work up the courage to speak but let's face it, no matter how much I hated them both, they were still scary and intimidating as hell. Angelo put his hands on the table and was about to push himself out of his chair when all the bravery in the world came to me, "Wait! I need to ask you a question."