Chapter Forty

Bright lights and even brighter sounds drag me awake.

I groan and roll over, then instantly regret it.

My stomach twists and the back of my throat stings of acid. I sit up, my head pounding with every shuddering breath I take.

"Oh gods," I moan. I bring my knees to my chest and press the palms of my hands into my eyes.

Memories from last night blink back in fits and starts. I remember dancing, and...falling? I must have fallen, because I was on the ground and Rogue had to pick me up. He brought me back here...

I quickly pat myself all over. I'm still wearing the same outfit as last night. Thank Gaia.

I squint my eyes against the light shining through the tent flaps, thinking hard. Rogue brought me back and then...I threw up. My stomach roils at the thought.

Ugh. Of all the people to throw up in front of, it had to be him.

I struggle to remember what happened next. We talked about...something. Maybe his sister? I wish I remembered that much. I have the feeling he held me, but that can't be right. And then...

I gasp. I bring two fingers to my forehead, as if I can still feel the imprint of his lips.

Rogue kissed me. He kissed me. Yes, it was a sweet, good night sort of kiss, but still. He kissed me.

There's a full pitcher of water next to my bed mat. I don't bother pouring it into a mug, I simply drink it straight from the pitcher.

It takes me a few moments to stand, and even a few more to stand without swaying. When I feel steady enough, I grit my teeth and peel the dress from my skin. I'll have to bring it back to Tanymede's before leaving for the prison. I dress myself in a simple tunic and pants, strapping the knife belt around my waist, and gather up the rest of my scant collection of clothes, folding them up in the blanket. I tuck the entire bundle under my arm and hold out the dress, keeping it away from the sand.

Taking a sobering breath, I open the tent flap and walk out into the blinding sun.

Tables and chairs are still placed in semi-circles around the campfire. Though much of the evidence from last night has been cleaned up, the smell of smoke and grapefruit still hangs in the air.

A few late risers are having breakfast. I can't stomach the thought, so I tread carefully toward a table across the way from the food.

"Ah, our Distressed Damsel awakens!"

Rogue saunters toward me. He's talking loudly for my benefit. Every word is a hammer against my head.

"Will you shut up, please?" I say, holding my hands to my ears.

Rogue pouts. "I preferred 'Your Majesty'." He takes the seat next to me.

"What?" I turn to him.

He gives me a scrutinizing look.

"Thief," he begins.

"It's Mira," I snap.

"Thief," he repeats. He runs a hand through his hair. "What do you remember from last night?" He fidgets with the hem of his tailored coat.

I remember you kissing me, I think. And the stars. I remember you holding me up to the stars and dancing. I remember how it felt right to be in your arms, and I remember how I never wanted to let go.

I can feel my cheeks growing warm, so I take a few breaths and school my features into something I hope looks placid.

"Nothing," I say, picking at a stray thread in my tunic.