Chapter Thirty-One - Rogue

Rogue waits until everyone has left the tent. He smiles along with them, clapping them on the back and fueling them with excitement for their great Moon Day plan. They're going to set the prisoners free! It's what Esmeralda would have wanted. After all, she died there, so wouldn't she have wanted her fellows to not suffer the same fate?

Of course she would've. And she would've given her life to make it happen.

She did give her life to make it happen.

Rogue waves goodbye to Dem. He doesn't let his smile fall until he's in the dead center of the tent. It's empty inside, and cold.

Rogue falls to his knees. He presses his face to his hands. And he sobs, quietly. He doesn't want the others to know. They're already afraid with Esmeralda gone, he has to be strong for them, brave. Just as he had to be strong for her when they fled Omorfi. She was scared for him, but he spent every night trying to make her laugh. He never wanted her to know just how terrified he was. He knew he was hunted. Every day of his life he had a target on his back, and he knew Esmeralda would give every to take it away. But it wasn't her burden to bear. None of this should've been.

It's his fault she's gone. And she's never coming back.