Chapter 7

Cameron's POV
Not unlike how the box of games I found the other day was exclusively DS games, this box only has a couple of Game Boy games. I mainly went to grab these so mum and dad wouldn't be suspicious of me for getting it again, but not using it. In the plastic bag alongside the Game Boy is a note, and that's hopefully going to be my next clue.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you which game to check out first Red

Pokémon Red. It's obvious.

Underneath that are the words:

Eevee, Pikachu, Butterfree, Meowth, Kakuna, Dratini, Mewtwo

All pokémon. All mostly familiar. It takes me a moment to remember what a Kakuna is, but even when I do figure it out, I struggle to see what relevance it may serve.

Slowly, I begin to walk out of the room, looking around at my brother's old belongings. I stop by his bookshelf, where at least one framed photo sits on each shelf.

One with him, Emma and Phil. One picture with the whole family. Another with just him and mum, then one of him and dad. One with the four of us plus some more distant relatives.

And certainly to no surprise, there's one of the two of us. Smiling, I wipe the dust away to reveal a picture from years and years ago. Shay couldn't be anymore than eight, meaning I was no more than four. The two of us are fast asleep in it, likely snoring, and snuggled up close to each other. Based on the Santa hat Shay wears, it must've been around Christmas, maybe Christmas Eve or something, but it manages to warm my heart.

I take it with me when I leave the room, another old memory that I would've forgotten about if it weren't for his reappearance in my life.

"What's that Cam?" Dad says as I go to enter my room. I almost drop the photo when I hear his voice, but I just manage to stop myself and turn around to show him.

"Woah, Christmas Eve huh?"

So I was right.

"You still believed in Santa like then, maybe Shay did too, I'm not sure, but you both agreed to stay up until you got to see Santa. When I came to check up on you two, you were both sitting there, snoring loudly."
"He's always been a snorer," I sigh, thinking back to all the nights he kept me up, even with a wall between us. "I bet he would still be one now."
"He gets that from your mother."
"Really?"
"Yeah, she'll continue to deny it but it's true. I got used to it though," he laughs. "You're a lot like her too, you know. Especially compared to what she was like when we were younger."

"She told me as much."

"Well she wasn't lying, and it isn't a bad thing either. I loved her even back then, and of course, I love you as well."
"Same here dad. You, mum... and Shay."

"We'll always love him."

I can't bring myself to say anything after that. A simple nod is enough to make dad understand that now I want to be left alone. My room seems to appreciate the extra bit of decoration, it adds a splash of warmth and colour to my dull desk.

"Shay... I just want to be able to talk to you again."

An idea comes to mind. A stupid and probably ineffective one, but it's an idea nonetheless. Someone who knows my brother and what's going on with him messaged me the other day, and I can still contact them.

Me: You know my brother, right?

???: Yes

Me: How is he? What's he doing? Can I talk to him?