Chapter 2

Cameron's POV
"Cameron, are you awake?" Mum asks, knocking on my bedroom door.
"Yeah... I'm up," I yawn. "Just getting changed."

Sighing, I grab my skirt from the wardrobe, hating just how long it is. I'm tiny for my age, so all my uniform (except my shirt which I didn't have to get from the school) is oversized. My skirt is too long and my blazer's sleeves making me look like I'm a year seven who's only just started secondary school. Even though I'm in sixth form. A bad one, one that (for some reason) makes us students wear a uniform.

Fortunately, I have two free periods today, one of them - last period - I share with Robin, so I might be able to convince them to let me come over so I could try and find the next clue Shay talked about.

It still feels like a dream. He is, but I can't believe my brother is alive. After all these years of mourning he isn't actually gone. I don't know how to feel about it.

But I just have to believe it for now. It's my only hope of ever getting to see Shay again.

Soon, I'm on the bus to school, my music blasting in my ears. Whilst I stare out of the window, I feel someone tap my shoulder. When I turn around, I find my classmate Oliver looking at me with a stupid grin on his face.

"Is this seat taken?" He asks.
"Nope, don't expect much of a conversation from me though," I sigh, turning away.
"You okay Cameron? You seem somehow even more miserable than usual. And how come you weren't in yesterday, I thought you enjoyed the food in the cafeteria on Thursdays."
"How do you... never mind. It was a difficult day, that's all..."
"How come?"
"How about you mind your own business?"

"Well if you're gonna be miserable all day, I might as well know the reasoning."

Rolling my eyes, I stand up and push past him, moving to the front of the bus and preparing to press the button for my stop. When I get off, Robin is there waiting for me, a grin on their face.

"So you survived the day, I'm proud of you," they say as I approach them.
"Survived doesn't really describe it well. I barely survived actually. Mum wanted me to stay home today too. Now, here's a question: how good are you at keeping secrets?" I ask as we start walking.
"Better than you'll ever be, and that's saying something, cause you're not half bad."
"So if I showed you something you would promise not to tell anyone."
"Of course."

"Eh... I still don't know if I should tell you... well I definitely shouldn't tell you at school, that's for sure."
"Then... come round my house after school and tell me then."

Well that's oddly convenient.

"Oh, okay then, if that's alright with you."
"Of course it is. My parents like you too, so they don't mind me inviting you around."
"They like me?"
"Yeah, course they do. Who wouldn't?"
"Oliver, I think I'm too grumpy for him. But like, why do they like me?"
"Because you seem normal enough for them, unlike me. I mean, you still refer to me as Michael around them, and that's good enough for them."
"But I hate calling you Michael. The name is bad enough, but having to call you a "him"? I hate it."
"I know you do, I don't enjoy it either, but it's better than them kicking me out," they sigh, kicking a rock as they walk. "Anyway, we need to hurry up, at this rate, we'll be late."
"Not like they'll miss me there. If I didn't have parents who I don't want to disappoint, I would one hundred percent ditch school most days."

Robin nudges me slightly with a laugh before speeding ahead, forcing me to run in order to catch up with them.

As stated earlier, I'm short, and then there's Robin, a giant. Though that does mean I have to almost run in order to walk at a similar pace to them, and I have to strain my neck in order to see their face, they're great for hugs and they'll sometimes even give me piggyback rides when I'm not necessarily in a state to walk. I also need someone to help me reach the top shelf, and if that someone just so happens to be my best friend, then so be it.