Chapter Thirty Five

Start from the beginning

"You've still been adjusting. Trust me, it took a while for me to get used to them too, but it comes with time. You've just taken a little longer."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right," I whispered back. 

We had reached the end of the staircase where cars were already waiting to take us back to the airport, this time, thankfully, with drivers.

"You go wait in the car, I just need to get Sera, she needs to be fed," Zina assured quietly, rushing back off in towards of the boys who were just about to reach us.

I didn't wait, climbing into the car and clicking in the seatbelt, not even bothering to look out the window.

Zina arrived not too long after, Sera waving her hands in the air.

"If it counts as anything, I've never seen him so miserable." She said, pointing out to Maddox's direction."

"Good," I replied quickly. "He should be."

The car began to drive, it was slower than it had been when we had arrived, yet it was pleasant. 

It felt like everything that had happened today, happened years ago. My body felt empty as I stared out of the window,

I just want to go home.

-------------------------------------------------------

When we arrived back home after a gruelling flight, I left as soon as I possibly could.

I had changed on the plane the moment that I had looked out of the window. I couldn't see the city, only outlines of black that were covered in thick white snow. Even the trees had changed colour.

I was in a pantsuit this time, it was dark blue with a square neckline that was covered in small white dots. Black, laced up boots covered my feet and a creamy brown fur coat covered my shoulders. While it mad me felt unreasonably hot while on the plane, I knew it would serve me well the moment I stepped outside.

I had sat with Zina on the plane.

I had already told her what I was going to do, That I wasn't going to be going back with Maddox, that I would be meeting up with my brothers before heading back later tonight. I told her that I would be back by around Midday, at least by four, since it was only the early morning now.

The airport was completely empty as if the entire building had been shut down. It wouldn't surprise me, due to the snow most likely.

I heard Maddox calling out, shouting my name as I walked away as quickly as possible. I didn't turn around.

Then he stopped, almost as if someone had thrown a hand over his mouth.

It was enough for me to turn the corner and reach the entryway.

The door opened automatically, sending a rush of cold air my way. Goosebumps erupted on my skin, but I kept walking out, not even thinking about stopping.

The South was hot, cruel and unfamiliar.

The North was cold and unforgiving, but I knew it like the back of my hand.

The streets were empty, not a human or wolf in sight. Billows of smoke billowed from chimneys and a light shade of yellow was projected onto the snow from the lit windows.

Indents of my feet followed behind me as I took a corner. The gate was the official entry to the human side of the city, but as I had discovered in the South, we weren't the only ones to have alternative entry. 

It was recommended, only to be used when you really needed to go in and out. Usually, there were guards hovering near these entrances, but, due to the snow, not a single guard was in sight.