Chapter Thirty

Not a word was spoken as we walked.

It was awkward, which was needless to say. I had no doubt that Taj and Amina were mind linking as we walked behind them, Maddox now protectively holding my hand as we went. The house itself looked the same, excluding small details such as artwork or carpets. Unlike Catalina, Zina and Elliot, we had begun the ascent upstairs. So we had walked out of the patio and back up to the stairs that we had first come up. It was awful. Suddenly, the enormous dress I was wearing became suffocating, I was surprised that I had fainted and fallen down the stairs. My hair was beginning to stick to my forehead, my face changing into a pale red, and not because I was embarrassed.

The second floor was nearly as big, but still had at least six rooms, possibly even more.

"This is where the guests would usually stay." Taj began, holding his arm out as if introducing the building, "We'll have someone inform you of times for our meeting tomorrow.  We may see you later, but if we don't, have a lovely rest of your day,"

Everything sounded so proper, perhaps that was just lack of knowledge in the language or perhaps it's just how they had been taught. Regardless of the reason, it still made me uncomfortable. But we weren't friends, so I had no reason t be feeling anything other than the same instinct to be as kind and professional as possible.

"Thank you, my friend, we appreciate it," Maddox thanked, standing tall.

"No problem at all, we'll see you later," Amina smiled warmly, before heading off back down the stairs we had taken to come up.

The glass door opened up immediately, letting out a whoosh of cold air. All I could see was doors so I turned to Maddox,

"Any preference?" I asked, almost falling over with heat exhaustion,

He raised an eyebrow, "I suppose the one I stayed in last time was nice?"

"Amazing, let's go," I panted, "I need to get out of this dress."

Our luggage was in a huge pile in a sitting-room style area. I saw the large bag that held my clothes, I rushed over and unzipped it, pulling the clothes out of their neat folding until I found something.

I didn't even bother to unzip the bag, I just hung the nightgown over my arm and turned around, Maddox watching me in amusement.

He looked down at his watch, "It's Midday dove, I doubt pyjama's are the way to go,"

"Then you try wearing this gown in the heat, I knew it was hot down here but it is way worse than I ever anticipated. Now, show me which room so I can get changed or else I'm going to faint." I almost yelled, getting more annoyed by the second.

This whole thing seemed to be more like a joke to him, "You're not threatening at all, you know that right?"

"You're not threatening at all, you know that right." I mocked, "You're not threatening! Now just tell me which one!"

His smile didn't fade, nor did his look of amusement, but he finally seemed to read the desperate undertones in my voice. He simply opened up the door that was right next to where he was standing, extending his arm into the arch in a way of welcome.

I didn't bother with any more words, I just ran into the room and then scanning until I found another door that would either lead to a bathroom or a walk-in wardrobe, I went for the one on the left, ripping the door open and throwing myself in.

I chucked the nightgown on the floor so that I could get changed. I undid the zip, pulled apart the corset and shedded away the layers and layers of frills that hid underneath my skirt. The cool air hitting my bare skin felt amazing. I threw on the nightgown with a sigh,