Chapter Thirteen

The drive back to the castle was unnerving. The image of the rogue was still present in my mind, but I was calm. Calmer then I would have been if this had happened only a few weeks ago. When I looked out the window, all I could see was a few wolves stalking around the area. I didn't expect to see any humans, especially any I knew since it was past curfew. Should any human be out and about now? Killed immediately.

Maddox's eyes were glassy once more, who he was mind linking I didn't know, though I felt that it was about the rogue body that needed to be moved. He would most likely be sending someone out to do a perimeter check.

I was sleepy, so by the time that we were pulling into the empty castle courtyard, I was practically asleep. I didn't really know why I was asleep, in all honestly it wasn't that late at all. Yet I still felt as if my entire body had shut down.

I could feel the door open beside me and two arms wrap around my torso, pulling me up into a hold.

"No no, I can walk it's ok," I mumbled, my head lolling back and forth.

Maddox chuckled, "I'd like to see you try and make your own way up these stairs,"

He didn't put me down, I could hear the bustling noises around me but it didn't wake me up, more serving as a white noise source which seemed to be making me sleepier.

The last thing I felt before fading into unconsciousness was a soft hand moving my hair behind my head and the soft cushioning of the mattress and pillows rising up around me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up, everything was silent. I couldn't hear Haven, Verity and Faith bustling around my room but I also couldn't hear anything through the door. It was strange, considerably different, but not unwelcomed. I was in the same dress that I was wearing yesterday, so the first thing I did was change. I chose something simple, I was already sick of all of the dresses. A loose pastel t-shirt and a pair of jeans that seemed to be three sizes too big.

No matter.

I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and left it at that, before walking out of the room. The guards that Maddox always had outside my room weren't there either.

Now, this is weird. I kept walking, though every muscle in my body screamed at me to stop. Te more I walked through the castle, the more I felt like I was dreaming. Everything was silent. N scuffing of boots against the polished floors, no Epsilons shouting commands, no young pups chasing each other around the castle halls while their parents frantically ran around trying to catch them,

Nothing.

Not one sound.

"Hello!" I called out, my voice bouncing against the walls, "Where is everybody?"

The only reply was my own words echoing back to me. I cold shiver ran down my spine. This wasn't good. I ran up to one of the huge stained glass windows and prayed to see something when I looked out, but still nothing. The only movement was the gentle breeze brushing against the tree's branches.

That's when I heard it.

A slow whistle. It rung in my ears, an old human folk song. A nursery rhyme that would be sung to children before the fire went out. I recognised it straight away.

"Who is there," I called out, more confidently this time. The whistling stopped.

What if it was the same person? The one who had broken into the castle who had no problem in throwing knives at my face.

"No need to worry Miss, it's only me."

My head snapped around to meet the direction of the voice. A figure came waltzing out of the corridor, dressed in the too-familiar black suit of a servant. He spoke as if he knew me, and that I knew him. Yet I looked at his face, taking in the details and I came to the conclusion very quickly that I had never met this man before in my life.