"There you are! They're getting him prepped now." Dr. Lively announced as she watched me placed my stuff into my locker.

"How bad is it?" I hesitated to ask my best friend and fellow coworker; we were the lucky ones who made it out of medical school alive.

Blake shrugged her shoulders, "Left-leg amputation. They only started paging you more when they realized his growing infection."

I let out a sigh, "Great start to my morning."

She let out a light laugh, "You breeze through amputations; you'll be done before you know it. Plus, lunch is on me."

Her words caused me to smile and we gave each other our daily hug before parting ways. "Oh! Beyoncé!" She hissed and halted my steps. "Your ring."

I gave her a look of confusion, until she pointed at my hands. Looking down, I cursed myself for forgetting the second most important thing in my life. "Thanks Blake!" I yelled in a hurry as I ran back toward the locker room. After I slid on the wedding band that I usually abandoned after a night like this, I grabbed my phone to make a quick call before heading to the operating room.

"Yes, Mom.. I'm up." My daughter mumbled, her sweet, sleepy voice making my heart melt.

"That's fine, Aaliyah. I just wanted to make sure we weren't going to be late this morning for your big day." I heard her sheets ruffle before she spoke again.

"I know, I'm so excited .. do you think you could make it to the tryouts?"

That damn pager vibrated once more and I let out a groan of agony. "Let me guess, you gotta go."

I sighed, "Yes baby, I do. But I'll be out soon and will try my best to make it, okay?"

"Thats fine.."

"I love you, Li."

"Love you too, mom."

I bid her a good day then placed my phone back into my locker. A deep sigh escaped my lips as I reflected on all the craziness going on in my life as I walked out into the madness. As much as I wanted to dwell on it, my issues would have to wait; I had a job to complete .. no matter what.

***

I shoved the last bit of my chocolate granola bar into my mouth while simultaneous trying to park my new Jeep Grand into the tiny space in Aaliyah's school parking lot. Thankfully, I was just a few minutes late to her tryouts. I knew she was a ball of nervous energy, but I had no doubt she wouldn't pass to get a spot on the girls basketball team.

Once I swallowed what was in my mouth, I gathered my purse and iced latte and rushed toward the gymnasium.

"Mom! You made it!" Aaliyah cheered once she spotted me. I wrapped my arms around my 15 year old and gave her curly hair a small kiss.

"I told you I'd try.."

She smiled, "Thanks for never letting me down."

I made a small pout and placed my hand over my heart; Despite my ungodly flaws, I still thank him everyday for allowing me to be her mother. "Did you speak to your father today about coming?"

"A little, he said he may or may not come but wishes me the best." She sounded uninterested.

"Okay, well, get back in the game and I'll be on the bleachers if you need me." She jogged off after saying goodbye and I found a spot a few rows up from the gym floor.

"Is that blood or ketchup?" A manly voice spoke to me; I swear it better not be one of these horny old dads. I quickly glanced at my baby blue scrubs and shrugged my shoulders without making eye contact. "You can save my life, anytime.." he continued.