XI

Lani woke up in a bed she didn't recognize. It took her a moment to realize that she was in Lucifer's penthouse. She looked up, seeing her black bra hanging on a light.

"Oh, no," Lani muttered. "No. No." She sighed softly, realizing she was naked. "Oh, God. Oh, God, what have I done?"

Lucifer, who was sitting in his chair in a robe and a cup, cleared his throat. "Don't worry, my father's the forgiving sort. Well, except when it comes to me. Triple espresso or hair of the dog?"

Lani groaned, holding her head. "No."

"Oh, right. Both."

She looked up at him. "Please tell me we didn't--"

Lucifer scoffed. "Did we ever. And I'm pretty sure we made Rosemary's baby. Oh, Deputy, it was extraordinary. The heat, the gymnastics." He chuckled. "I mean, you had moves that made even the Devil blush."

"Oh, no, this is really, really bad."

He chuckled and Lani continued, standing near the entrance to the bedroom. "Whatever happened last night, don't tell me, I'd rather not know."

"What, that we didn't do the nasty?" Lucifer questioned, seeing the surprised look on her face. "Nope, I turned you down cold."

Lani studied him curiously, secretly glad that she hadn't, glad she still had her virginity. "You, the guy who's been trying to get me into the sack since day one had a chance to sleep with me, and you didn't? Why-why am I naked?"

"What you mean you don't remember the part where you passed out, woke up again, shouted at me, "It's too hot in this five-story fiery volcano," I believe it was, then tore your clothes off and proceeded to hog the bed. Why a volcano, I have no idea."

Lani picked up her clothes. "I do that. Occasionally. When I'm upset. And you'd be upset, too, if your best friend was dumped by their ex over text and if your sibling killed themselves."

"No, I'd be relieved if Dan dumped me. As for the sibling, well, yes. I can't imagine what you're going through there. Even still, it's very unhinged. And out of character for me, too. The whole "not wanting to have sex with you" thing. I mean, here's the strange part. This gave me quite a rush. Can't explain it. I've been thinking about it all night."

Lani pursed her lips a moment. "Okay, last night was a fluke. For us both. Never happened, leave it at that."

She walked towards the elevator and Lucifer called after her, "Right. You snore, by the way. Like an Albanian field wench!"

She stepped into the elevator and left the nightclub.

"Did you finally seal the deal with your little deputy?" Maze asked.

Lucifer glanced at her. "If we were on speaking terms, perhaps I'd fill you in." He started walking off.

"Where are you going?"

Lucifer scoffed. "Why do you ask? You still reporting back to my brother?"

"Lucifer--"

"No, do me a favor, Maze. How about you let me lead my life, and I'll let you lead yours, deal?"

"You can't be mad at me forever."

Lucifer chuckled. "Oh, but I can. It's one of the luxuries of being the Devil."

Lucifer made his way to the crime scene and lifted up a pair of underwear. "Deputy, I believe you left these after our sleepover last night. What's the hole at the back for?"

Lani's eyes widened at his behavior and said, "Not mine. Those are not mine." Lucifer chuckled. "Slightly more of a commando girl."

Lucifer chuckled. "Fair enough." His gaze turned to the body. "Dearie me. Someone woke up on the wrong side of a .38."