VII

Maze offered a man to follow her and he found her sitting in the pool. She smiled. "What are you waiting for? Hop in."

He joined her and she forced his head underwater. After a moment, he was pulled up.

"Hello, Sergei," Lucifer greeted. "Water's a bit rough, aren't they?"

"What-what the hell are you doing?"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm going to brutally torture you until you give me what I want. My wings, where are they?"

"What wings? I don't even know what you're talking about!"

Maze forced Sergei's head back underwater.

Lucifer glanced at Maze. "Why do they always insist on being so difficult?"

Maze let out a chuckle and Lucifer said, "All right." Sergei's head was lifted up and he gasped. "As you can see, I'm not playing, so let's try again, shall we? My wings, please."

"Look, man, why would I take your wings?" Sergei asked. "I don't even know who you are!"

"I'm Lucifer Morningstar. And you, you small-peckered fool, are Sergei Bok, a known smuggler. You move just about anything you can get your trashy Euro hands on."

"Please, man! I don't have 'em! I swear. Okay? I don't know what I'd do with a pair--" he was forced back under the water.

"Maybe if I hit him a few times?" Maze asked.

Lucifer frowned. "Though I hate to say it, I'm not sure violence is the trick here. I'm beginning to wonder if this human stain is actually telling the truth."

"No! He's scum. He'll say anything."

"Maybe it's not him, it's us."

"Us? He's the fifth man we've accosted this week."

"Perhaps we're, dare I say, going about this wrong?" He sighed. "It may be time to seek the help of a professional." He let out another size. "Oh! Maze!"

Maze rolled her eyes and pulled Sergei up and he coughed and gasped for air.

HOSPITAL

"Hey," Dan greeted. "I don't know that you want to be here right now."

"There she is."

"Yeah."

"What, do I have a "hate me" sign on my face?"

"If only it were that simple. It's about Malcolm."

"What about him?"

"The guy's been in a coma for months. His wife decided to pull the plug. Malcom's dying today, and you're still investigating him for corruption."

"So, what, they hate me even more not that I won't put a halo on his head.

"Maybe stay away from the precinct tonight. Cops are staging a living wake here."

"Anything else?"

"It would make everyone's life easier if you would close your investigation."

"You know, Dan, I thought we were actually making progress there for a second, but once again, look who's on Team Everyone Else. The only one who's on my side is Lani."

"That's because she doesn't know much about the case. I'm trying to protect you."

"From what? Catching a criminal or hurting your rep?"

"It's not about any of that. It's about Malcolm's family. If there's an open investigation calling for his dismissal, it can cost them his benefits, his pension, all of it."