Chapter Nineteen: A Heart to Heart

Gabriel didn't really expect that he'd have to run after people today, but then again, he didn't really expect to need to do much of anything all that recently, at least with how things were going. They weren't fending for survival in the middle of the woods anymore, so Gabriel didn't have much of a job to do, nor did he really have any chores to worry about. Via's new glasses also allowed her to wander around without him needing to lead her, so that was another problem taken care of. Overall, he didn't need to worry about much, but when it came to his friends, he wanted to make sure they were okay, especially if it was Austin who was upset.

         Trotting after his friend, Gabriel easily followed him outside, closing the door as he looked around for Austin, though he was quickly spotted.

         Austin hadn't even hesitated in attempting to hide the second he'd exited the house it seems, for all the boy had done was sit in the shade of one of Toriel's bushes while making sure not to have stepped on any flowers. Sadly, he had failed in that endeavor, for some of the flowers had been trampled over. That of course had made the boy more upset, as noted given his next remark.

         "Go away." Austin normally wasn't this cold to Gabriel, so of course the other boy was taken back by this. But that wasn't going to stop him from helping his friend, even if it did make him just a little nervous.

         "...I-I won't go away. I'm sorry," Gabriel replied, the boy nervously fiddling with the old tutu he was wearing. "...Are you okay? Did Flowey make you upset?"

         Austin didn't respond for a good while, the boy simply curling up and pulling his baggy sweater over his knees. "...Not a whole lot... I mean, he made me kinda... kinda mad... Flowers are supposed to be nice. I don't understand why he's always so mean!"

         Ah. It would make sense for Austin to be so upset and come to the little garden for comfort. He'd always found comfort in flowers after all, and since he was unable to go to the underground castle's flowers, he could really only come here. A boy seeking comfort in flowers thanks to a flower upsetting him... How ironic. But Gabriel wasn't here to judge him. He was here to help him, and help him he shall.

         Walking towards the boy, he then took a seat, though he didn't enter the flower bed. He recognized that as Austin's safe place right now. "...It can't be just t-that... He's said mean things before... Is there something else...?"

         Austin went silent after hearing him ask that, the boy seemingly contemplating whether or not he should explain everything. Then again, what was there to explain? Well, not much, though there was one thing he figured Gabriel wouldn't know about... "...This place... I don't know how I feel about it, I guess. It's loud... and I don't like that, but Mommy's nice, and she has pretty flowers, and we have a warm place now, so I don't know if I really like it or not... I like it a little, I guess."

         As Austin spoke, Gabriel simply nodded thoughtfully, only to add his own input on their situation. "That makes sense, I-I think. It is warmer, and we have f-food now, so I don't have to make many secret stashes-" The boy seemed to flinch for a moment, mostly because he knew just about everyone in his group hated it when he stole rations, but Austin had always been a little fine with it. Probably because he'd shared some of his secret rations with the boy though to be honest. "But it is kind of weird, and l-loud..." That had been the first thing he'd noticed about this place. It really was loud here, at least compared to Mount Ebott.

         Austin merely stared at the ground after that, his head hanging for a moment before he spoke once again. "...There's another thing, I think... How'd you feel about the items Frisk made us pick?"