Chapter Nine: What Happened

It was a beautiful day outside. Birds were singing; flowers were blooming. But to Sans, it all felt like hell under Toriel's piercing gaze. They were in a field, the same stretch of land the monsters all had to cross through in order to get to Ebott City from Mount Ebott. Trees dotted the landscape, though for the most part it was nothing but a field of grass. Now, Sans and Toriel stood a few feet across from each other, Sans struggling to meet her eyes while she did her best to keep a straight face.

         "Sans." Her voice made him wince a bit; he knew she was trying to stay calm, but her voice was clearly filled with fear, as were her eyes. "What happened."

         The skeleton was silent for a moment as he shuffled his feet, once again being unable to meet her gaze.

         "Sans." She might not admit it, but she was growing impatient. The longer this went on, the more distressed she became, and Sans staying silent was only keeping her from not only the truth, but her children as well. "Why was Flare so frightened? What do you know?"

         Once again, nothing. Her patience was gone. "Sans!" Finally, he met her gaze; her angry and upset gaze. "What happened to my child? What do you know? I wouldn't be asking you if you didn't have anything to do with this. But I have to know. Tell me. Please. Tell me."

         He could see the pain in her eyes, pain that fueled her anger. However, even though she had every right to know what had happened between him and the child, he knew very well that she would hate him. She hated Asgore for ordering the deaths of seven human children, and the same would probably be said for those who carried out his orders.

         Finally, the skeleton let out a defeated sigh. "Alright, I'll tell you what happened. Just... Keep an open mind..."

Frisk had been waiting outside when it had happened, when his friend ended up teleporting right across the yard. He didn't look up to see what they'd do next; in all honestly, the boy expected one of two reactions: Either Sans would teleport away soon after teleporting Toriel home and Toriel would run into the house; Toriel would ask him about the others and Sans would ask about Papyrus; or a mixture of the two. It all depended on what exactly had gone down between the two while they were alone; even after practically memorizing their actions, he couldn't predict everything.

         "Frisk?" Toriel: Option Two. "Do you know where the others have gone? If so, are they coming back?" Well, not quite option two, but he was certainly close.

         Looking up, Frisk quickly studied Toriel's expression; it was tense, yet firm, as if she were at school having a bad day with her students yet still trying to be kind. He knew what that meant. "Oh. We weren't sure when you'd be back, so I asked them to go get the clothes and stuff, like we talked about," replied the boy with a more or less neutral expression.

         Toriel, of course, seemed to then remember what she'd been planning on having them buy, and within moments, she'd brought out her phone and began to text. "You told them everything, correct? What sizes they need? What clothes they'll want to wear? How big all the rooms are-"

         "Don't worry Mom- I told them everything. Undyne even said she might get some toys for them-"

         "Undyne?" Toriel seemed to almost pale at the thought of the ex-head of the Royal Guard grabbing toys for her children, especially since the last 'toy' she'd given Frisk was an actual sword of all things. "I will just text everyone everything they need to know, just in case."