Chapter One: Return to the Mountain

Mount Ebott. The place the monsters were trapped under for years upon years. Practically everyone buried under there had wanted to leave, and finally, their prayers were answered. No one hardly returned to the mountain, to the prison that had held the monsters, but today, someone did, for the monsters weren't the only ones that resided there.

         "Frisk!" called Toriel, her voice equaling the tone of a worried mother. "Don't rush so far ahead, my child! I don't want you to get lost."

         Frisk turned around from where he stood on a few large rocks, the boy giving his adoptive mother a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, Mom! I've been up here before. I can find the cave."

         In response to this, Toriel just huffed, though a small smile was playing at her lips as she clambered up the rocks to stand beside the young boy. "That may be, but you have to make sure you wait for your mother. I may be an excellent climber, but I'm also old, so I can't climb as fast as you, dear."

         "Okay," Frisk replied, nodding his head in acknowledgement before once again climbing over a few more large rocks. This time, however, he made sure Toriel was close behind and even did his best to help her up a few times.

         "Thank you, my child," Toriel said graciously as she righted herself for what felt like the millionth time. Once she had done so, she looked up to see that finally, they had reached their destination. "Ah. It appears we have arrived right at the entrance."

         The two were staring at the large mouth of cave on the mountainside, the cave looking all too familiar given that they had both passed through it to escape the Underground. In front of it was a clearing that lead to the ledge Frisk and Toriel were standing on at the moment; it was the same ledge the monsters had all stood on as they watched their first sunrise.

         As they approached the cave, Toriel suddenly stopped, the goat monster placing her hand in front of Frisk to stop him as well. The boy then halted as well and frowned, looking up at her with confused brown eyes. When he saw her expression though, he knew why she had stopped, and what she said next only confirmed it.

         "Frisk, I... I don't want you going down there with me. Those children... I remember all of them... I don't want you to see them if they're in... Poor condition." Toriel then looked away from her son, the woman clearly feeling a bit emotional over this entire ordeal.

         Despite Toriel's attempts to keep her words kid friendly, Frisk knew exactly what she was saying. She had cared for the other souls that had fallen into the Underground before him, and neither of them had made it out alive. Not only did she want to keep Frisk from beholding the sight of a potentially mutilated corpse, but she also didn't want him to see her cry.

         With a nearly inaudible huff, the boy wrapped his arms around his adoptive mother's waist, nuzzling into her a bit as he mumbled, "I'll wait for you. I promise." Eventually, he felt a furry paw gently rub his head.

         "I am so blessed to have a child like you, Frisk." And with that, she kissed her son's forehead before ascending into the mouth of the cave, back into the Underground.

        Now he was alone on the mountainside, the only thing accompanying him being the wind whistling through the trees and stirring up the fallen leaves. With a small huff, Frisk curled up a bit in his sweater and began pacing back and forth, the boy trying his best to keep himself warm. He had forgotten that it was colder on the mountain, and therefore hadn't bundled up in anything like Toriel had suggested he do. This then prodded him to do what he'd told her he wouldn't do and enter the cave, though he still told himself that he wouldn't leave the throne room, just so he could give the goat woman some privacy.