Chapter Twenty-Nine: Homework

School came and went, as did their assignments; and as the days went on and on, the kids adjusted more and more. Settling into their classes, each of the kids seemed to have a sense of what they were doing as they attempted their homework, often working with whichever fellow soul was in their grade, at least most of the time. Gabriel and Vera, while not always getting along, were just like this, working together on their math assignment in the living room with Frisk and Flowey. Sure, the four kids were in completely different grades, not to mention working on completely different assignments, but they could work in the same space. All they needed was peace and quiet, though unfortunately, the two younger kids weren't providing that.

        "...So... Y-you're the last one with family things," Gabriel started quietly, the kid glancing up from his math homework to study Vera's expressions.

         "Yeah?" Vera didn't seem to think much of it as she continued to work, the child less than interested in the topic at hand. Somehow, math was cooler than her missing family, and that was something Gabriel wasn't sure he understood. As he continued to stare, Vera looked up from her worksheet, staring at her friend for a moment in confusion. "...What? You think I'm gonna leave? No way."

         "You sure-?"

         "Obviously!" The child rolled her eyes and went back to attempting her math, though now she seemed a tad more focused on the topic he'd brought up. "You guys are way more important than some stupid family I don't even remember. Why would I even leave?"

         "Well- Uh- Um..." Gabriel fiddled with his pencil for a moment, not entirely sure what to say. "...Don't- Don't you wonder what they're like-?"

          "No."

         "Guys?" After a moment of them talking, Frisk decided to interrupt, the kid looking up from his phone with a frown. "Can you go talk somewhere else? I'm trying to concentrate."

         "Concentrate somewhere else yourself," said Vera dismissively.

         "Flowey and I need the TV for current event research!" As if to prove a point, Frisk snatched the remote and switched it on, flipping through channels until he landed on the news. At first, all this did was get Vera to glare at him, but when Gabriel moved to his room, Vera followed suit. And now, Frisk and Flowey were alone, left working on their own set of work.

         "Why did this have to be done on human history?" Flowey grumbled, the monster using his vines and leaves to scribble a few notes down. "Monster history I've memorized! Human history's boring!"

         "I mean, we're on the surface now, so some of this history's ours now, in a way," Frisk replied, frowning as he changed the channel a few more times to find something interesting. "And it's not human history really. Just Social Studies, and our homework's a current event, so just find something on the news and write about it."

         "Great." The sarcasm was practically dripping from his voice as he finished with the header, beedy black eyes locking back onto Frisk. "And why isn't Via here to work on it with us?"

         "I told you. She said she was tired again."

         "She's always tired."

         "Leave her be," Frisk sighed, still tiredly flipping through channels. "Besides, we all need a separate current event an...nyway..." The boy had suddenly ceased his bored channel-flipping when another news station popped up, a news station interviewing a man whom Frisk recognized, a man who, while he'd never met him, was someone he despised.

         "We bring you here today to the capitol building, where Daryll Loftman stands outside, claiming proof of malicious intent from monsters," the reporter stated, capturing Flowey's attention almost as quickly as Frisk's.