New Beginnings

Começar do início

Business hasn't been doing so well lately for my aunty though, hence the new job I got. I'm just trying to help her out as much as I can, I hate feeling like a burden on anyone. My issues should be just that, mine.

I was on the bus for about an hour and a half before I got off. I had only been to this area once before, and that was for my interview. I walked up to the tall metal gate and pushed the call button, a few seconds passed before a voice spoke through the speakers.

"Can I help you?" The man spoke. His voice was intimidating, I couldn't even see his face but I could tell just by the tone of his voice that he meant business.

My breath was shaking, out of exhaustion or fear, I couldn't even tell. "Hi, umm m-my name is Davina Moana I work here, w-well today is my first day" I mentally smacked myself. Get it together V.

"You're late Miss Moana"  he scolded.

"I know I'm sorry it won't ha-" I was cut off by a loud buzzing noise and the gates started to open. My stomach was in knots walking up the long driveway. They're totally going to fire me. I thought to myself.
It's my first day, and they're totally gonna fire my ass.

I finally reached the front door but before I could even knock it flew wide open, causing me to jump back and land flat on my behind. Bakola.

I looked up to see a familiar face, Miss Bessy. She was the woman who interviewed me the week before. Bessy was an elderly looking woman, she was the head of staff, as well as the head cook and has been for the past 30 years or so. Her skin was a deep brown color, and she could most likely pass as someone 10 years younger than her. Her hands were wrinkled but still as firm as ever, she reminded me of an old willow tree.

Her face was etched with a look of disapproval, as she gave me her hand. "Oh, come on suga you're late, and on your first day no less"

"I know Miss Bessy, I'm sorry it won't happen again"
I couldn't even look her in the eyes, I felt like a child under her stare.

She helped me up from the ground and led me into the enormous house, and down a long hallway. She started listing off different household rules and I repeated them to her so she knew I was understanding. We made our way to a small kitchen in the back of the house that had a door leading outside.

She pointed to the door as she spoke, "from now on, when you comin in, don't come from the front door, only come through this back door."

I just nodded quickly as she continued "Miss Jackson dont like when us folks come in the main entrance, so don't let it happen again"

"Yes ma'am" I said softly looking down, getting lost in my own thoughts for moment.
Miss Jackson?

We continued our tour of the rest of the house and she finished running me through all the rules and regulations. Apparently, the head of the household was some woman who was recently divorced, and also has a baby boy. Bessy explained to me that "Miss Jackson" was rarely ever home, but everything was to remain in tip top shape regardless, she was a neat freak I guess.

More like control freak, with the way she's running this place.

I shook myself out of my thoughts as Miss Bessy handed me a binder with daily chores I'm supposed to have done. I looked at the thick binder, then back at her with wide eyes.

"I'm supposed to have everything in here done everyday?" I asked, mouth agape.

She chuckled and shook her head, "oh no child, most of the lists in there are for any special events being held here"