Receipt

Much later, Kara Danvers and Mon-El are sitting at a coffee shop together on their date. Shaky's Coffee Shop looks very similar to Jitters from Earth One.

"So what did you do with it?" asks Mon-El, curious.

"What could I do with it? I took it home with me." Kara tells him.

"Good, then it all worked out."

"Sure... except for my massive guilt."

"You feel guilty? For what?"

"For accepting it." insists Kara.

"I'm sorry, I'm confused. Maybe this is an alien cultural thing that I'm just not getting. I thought gift giving was a good thing. Don't humans have a whole season devoted to it? The season of receiving?" a confused Mon-El asks.

"Giving." corrects Kara.

"What?"

"It's the season of giving." adds Kara.

Mon-El gets it finally, "Right, so, she wanted to give you a gift. That was nice of her."

"Yes."

"Then what do you have to feel guilty about?" wonders Mon-El.

"Because of the cameras. People are going to see that and they're going to think it's okay to give me gifts." suggests Kara.

"And you get more free stuff. I'm not really seeing a downside here." Mon-El says, clearly not understanding.

"The downside is that I'm going to end up getting gifts from so many people that I won't know what to do with it all. Heroes are supposed to be about more than that. Supergirl is about more than that. She's supposed to inspire them." explains Kara.

"Isn't that what you did when you rescued her? You inspired her to do a good thing."

A barista comes over and hands them cups of coffee.

"I know, but I didn't want to be THAT kind of inspiration."

"What's the difference?" wonders Mon-El.

"When people look at Supergirl, I want them to see someone to look up to. Someone that inspires them to do the right thing. To help someone else when they need it." Kara insists.

"Well, not to point out the obvious Kara but... you ARE someone else."

"What do you mean?" Kara asks.

"Supergirl may be there to be looked up to and inspire people, but she's also a person. You are a person Kara. Maybe they just wanted to help you?"

"I guess, it's just... I knew that accepting the gift is a bad idea, even before I did it."

"Then why did you do it?" asks Mon-El.

"Because if I hadn't, it would've been on the news and that would have been much worse."

"See, on Daxam we would just put journalists who said bad things into stocks so people could throw food at them. It's just so much easier."

"That's actually not something we like to encourage here sweetie. Particularly since I'm a
journalist."

Mon-El doesn't respond right away, smiling.

"What?" asks Kara.

"You called me sweetie." says Mon-El with a smile.

After a moment, Kara smiles too.

"I did, didn't I?"

Mon-El gets a concerned look for a second, "Wait, that's a good thing right? I'm not misreading that?"

Kara reaches out and takes Mon-El's hand, "It's definitely a good thing."