6.💎Action-triggered reactions 💎

Song of the chapter is Don't call me up by Mabel.
If you enjoy this chapter please don't forget to vote and comment.

I'm going shopping.

Yes, that's what i'm gonna do.

I have a few extra cash

And I need a distraction.

Since the breakup with Mike, I sulked for a bit before burying my head in my books like no man's land. It had been a rough few months but i was done with college and that was all that mattered.

I was officially a doctor now and it felt great. Of course, There was still a need to complete residency and masters in cardiology. So approximately, I should be counting another 5 to six years before I could be called a professional cardiologist.

Next weekend was Jenny's wedding. My best friend was getting married and i felt so happy and yet so sad. I was excited but I still felt discouraged. I wondered how i was gonna cope without her. I don't want her to leave. I know that's a selfish thing to say but could you really blame a girl?
The case would have been different if I was still in school. But i was not and there was nothing else to distract me.

Looking on the bright side though, I still had a year, or so before I figured out where my life was heading.

Shopping went great, I got a few essentials and a few things I didn't need. Despite the fact that I warned myself;

"Alyssa Benson, stop buying things you don't need." I warned myself sternly before leaving the house.
But somehow, I returned home with a bed side lamp which was also a vase. It was beautiful but I had a flower vase and a bedside lamp so it wasn't really necessary. I also came back home with an elastic water bottle. You could actually compress it to make it tiny and expand it to make it larger. How cool was that. Still, it didn't change the fact that I didn't need it.

Jenny's wedding was a mind blower and that was no surprise. Like, What did you expect? She was an Igbo girl. I guess that pretty much explains everything.

During the traditional wedding, I was not totally informed on everything that was going on partly because I didn't understand the language and also because I wasn't really interested. After the vow exchange was over, the rest was just boring unnecessary formalities.

But one thing I was sure of was the fact that I consumed about 7 gallons of freshly tapped palm wine. Of course, i'm exaggerating again. But seriously, the palm wine was so sweet, I couldn't just stop myself.
Jenny was literally begging me to stop.

Before we traveled to IMO for the wedding, I had never really tasted palm wine but it was definitely on the list of things I needed to taste before I died. Everyone talked about and I felt like an outcast. After that day though, I understood completely what all the fuss was about.

I also did a little dancing but i'm pretty sure I looked like a penguin. But then Who cares, right?

Even before the wedding, Jenny's parents and I were quite familiar. I had accompanied Jenny home when her little neice and nephew had died. It was a fatal motor accident and I hated to think about it.

Three kids in all were sitting in their mother's shop when the vehicle lost control and ran into the shop, killing two of them instantly. The third girl was hospitalized for a while because she was badly injured. The two girls were daughters of Jenny's brother while the boy was her sister's. Her sister died a few months after the kids did. Apparently, she couldn't handle the death of her son. They were just 7 and 5 respectively. It was really tragic.

Jenny's mum had also paid us a visit twice in Lagos and I was with Jenny during the wedding introduction.
I guess Jenny's mum really liked me because she tried to set me up with her youngest son Kamsi during the wedding. I wasn't interested neither was Kamsi. We both felt a little guilty for dissapointing the sweet woman but other than that, Kamsi and I just joked about it. He was a really nice guy though, great company.