Chapter 5 - The Pain of Separation (Edited)

Greyson wasted no time in escaping the close confines of the cabin almost the minute the words were spoken. His heart felt heavy and his wolf screamed at him to go back and retract his words. MATE! Not anymore. I cannot have a mate that endangers our pack. The argument with his wolf continued the seemingly endless mile back to his cabin, finally cutting him off successfully once he stepped inside. It was time to forget about her.

He would live a mateless life. Find another mateless female that could be a good Luna for his pack. The very thought of it brought more pain and disgust. He collapsed to the bed, pushing the idea away. Rejecting a mate drains you. Their souls were forged unfinished. They were fashioned with a link meant for their fated and if killed or rejected, part of it shatters.

The feeling of emptiness is not something that time can heal – like it did for humans. Only a mate can heal that. He wondered how she was fairing. Being a human without a wolf to fight couldn't be nearly as unpleasant with what he was experiencing. Then again...he wasn't human.

-----------------------------

Marie writhed in discomfort on the bed, having sobbed uncontrollably for the last hour though she had no understanding of why. Only knowing that as soon as he spoke those words a piece of her was gone. "What the hell did they mean?!" Rejection sucked, sure, but they weren't even in a relationship. She didn't even like him. She loathed him. The man kidnapped her, imprisoned her, and probably was the sole reason for her friends and Daniel's death. There was no love there...not even a like and the hate that started at her heart began to grow.

He wouldn't hurt her again.

-----------------------------

"Let's start over. You met Daniel at an archery competition. You two hit it off...months later he suggests camping and everyone agrees. In below freezing temperatures." Greyson sat across from her, tapping the worn wooden surface of the table they brought to her cabin a few days before. It forced him to sit and look at her rather then pace in front of her, restraining himself from resorting to the torture he typically used on hunters.

Though he was beginning to think it was a mistake. Even with the break in their connection, he could still feel the remnants of it; the occasional tingles when they touched. And he could not deny her beauty. Sitting across from her, it was all he could focus on. The bruising from the accident had faded now. The long dark curls framing her face pulled out her pale porcelain complexion that fought for attention against her equally dark eyes. One needed to lean closer and squint their eyes to find the pupils amongst the ebony swirls. She had a strong jawline that demanded respect and high cheekbones that any model would die for.

Fate tortured him.

"Why don't you get me a pen and paper and I'll write down every god forsaken word. Then maybe you'll stop asking me the same damn QUESTIONS! I've had enough. Obviously I'm not who you think I am, so I want to go home." Marie shoved her chair away from the table and crossed her arms stubbornly. At least they hadn't tied her up this time. But the same drill over and over was really starting to grate at her nerves.

"You're in no position to make demands. Besides, you can't go home. Anyone who's ever seen this place can't leave. It puts our pack at risk."

"I don't care about your pack! You're in the middle of a forest. Put a bag over my head. Lead me in circles to turn me all around and drop me off on a road somewhere. I just want to be home. You give that to me and I won't say a word about your damn pack."

"It's not that easy."

"Why?!"

"BECAUSE IT'S NOT!" The crash of his palm against the table in front of her made her jump back and cower. It left a distinct crack that would always remind her to stay out of his reach when he was angry. "They'll be able to smell the trail and follow us back. You can't leave. Get used to staying here."

"So that's it? I'm going to be stuck in this cabin, alone, until I die? Well, then just shoot me because I'd rather die now than live a life like that."

"You should count yourself lucky! Most are thrown in the dungeon and none have been given the leniency you have received!" Realizing he was losing his cool quickly with her. He retracted and took a deep breath to reclaim his control. "I won't keep you locked up here. I will permit you outside as long as there are guards with you."

"Sounds like the perfect life." Marie rolled her eyes and slumped back into her seat. She had had about enough of Greyson and this imprisonment. She needed a plan, a way to get out and once she was able to see more of her surroundings, she'd think of something. "But it's better than nothing. When can I get out?"

"Now. I'll take you out this first time myself. We can visit your friend's graves if you'd like." He thought to take back his offer when he saw the blood drain from her face. Perhaps she wasn't ready yet. "Or, we can walk around the area that borders your cabin."

"No, no...I'd like to see them. I want to say goodbye." She needed the closure. Thinking about them everyday, wondering if they suffered though never receiving answers had begun to gnaw at her sanity. The thought of it alone spurred her from the chair to cross to the door, ready to throw it open.

"Wait. You'll freeze to death." Greyson crossed to the pack he had come in with and pulled the zipper open to rummage through the items inside. A quick tug extracted a folded layer of wool from its depth, to toss her way. "This is yours, put it on."

Marie barely managed to bring her arms up in time to catch the bunched cloth. A quick puff of air blew out from her lips when one of its corners smacked her in the face. "A blanket?"

"No," he nearly chuckled from the absurd look she gave him. "Here, give it to me." Her gaze dropped to his outstretched hand before she dropped the blanket into it. He turned it a couple times before finding the place he wanted. A curl of his fingers gripped the edge, allowing him to snap the rest of it free. The cloth billowed a few times before coming to a gentle rest against his body. It was a cloak.

Marie stepped forward and traced the white, fur-lined hood. "It's beautiful." Her thumb rolled over the silver leaf clasp then moved to pinch the two ends near the hood snapping it around to rest over her shoulders. Its warmth instantly enveloped her. Much more effective than her peacoat. A lift of her arms brought the hood up and over her head, delicately laying it across her hair just behind the line of her bangs. She did not notice the quick drawn breath he took nor that he was staring at her. Her attention was on cloak. Another medieval-type fashion that confirmed their way of life. "Let's go." A tilt of her chin lifted her gaze to his, just missing the abrupt turn of his head so she wouldn't catch him staring.

The short walk to their graveyard was in silence. Marie admired their surroundings and its true beauty without the mar of modern man, while Greyson fought his inner wolf. Even with the rejection, his wolf knew his mate and fought to reclaim her. The beast growled from within and threatened to break lose if he did not take her and mark her properly. To another wolf, the battle would have been obvious. His pupils dilated and his eyes turned black. His whole body was shaking while he tried to keep control.

"Are we here? Where are they buried?"

Her soft, quivering voice already heavy with tears broke him from the trance and seemed to sooth his wolf only by talking to him. He nodded towards the far corner of the yard and led her to them, gesturing at the bare crosses a fair distance from the rest. "I will give you some privacy." Greyson turned to go but her voice stopped him and caused him to stand rigid in alert.

"This can't be theirs. There were four of us in the car. I only see two graves. Where is the third?"