Chapter 2 - Yesterday (Edited)

Daniel laughed and circled around Marie, his relaxed bow and arrow lowered to his side. "Can't focus? Shame." She felt him blow into her ear, knowing it would distract her; it always did. The move deserved a glare she was happy to give.

She tried to shrug him off like an annoying fly, even rubbed her cheek against her shoulder but he was still there, buzzing in her ear as she tried once more to lift her bow and aim it true. It had been weeks since she had done so, the neglected muscle already tender from the sudden increase in use. When the arrowhead sunk into the center of the bulls-eye she smiled and lowered her bow.

"Alright! Happy?" She asked with a triumphant smile. Her confidence lighted anew as she motioned for him to look at her accomplishment. "Can we go eat now?"

"No," he annoyingly replied while cupping his hand under her elbow to lift her arm back up. "Again. Draw and aim faster." His warm breath fanned the back of her neck and tickled her flesh, forcing her to turn and glare at him.

"Since when are you my trainer?" That sexy lopsided grin touched his lips and she melted. It was so alluring and pulled her in. When she was within an inch, eyes meeting, breaths mingled, she pulled an arrow, notched and in the last second turned and released it. Bulls-eye.

"Fast enough?" She left her boyfriend standing still in shock as she walked away. Food called her. Her adored bow and quiver was left carefully draped across the seat of the rocking bench outside before she stepped inside. He was always pushing her on the training. He was equally talented, though still, she never understood why he was so determined.

Inside, she pulled the door of her fridge open and plucked her favorite beverage from the top shelf. The rim of the orange juice bottle only just touched her lips when she felt his arms snake around her from behind, pulling her into the hard expanse of his chest.

"That's' disgusting," Daniel spoke close to her ear.

"Hmm," was the only answer he got while she finished her drink before returning the bottle as she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. A push of her hip closed the door so she could turn around to give him her full attention. She lifted her arms to wrap around his neck, pulling him down until their noses meshed. "Hasn't stopped me before. And you know my parents hate orange juice. It's basically my own bottle anyways." Before he could respond, she pressed a hard, deep kiss to his lips, molding her body against his.

Daniel's steps led his girlfriend back until her body jerked slightly to a halt against the counter behind her. It was an easy effort to lift her small frame up to sit atop, her legs quickly wrapping and locking behind his thighs.

Just as his head ducked beneath her chin and sought the line of her neck the doorbell rang. They pulled apart guiltily as if caught. Both rushed to smooth their clothes down and fix themselves.

"Damn!" Daniel exclaimed in aroused frustration. Marie laughed and tapped the tip of his nose with her finger while dropping from the countertop. Typical, they never got far. She watched his hand push through his hair to tousle the already messy brunette strands before it reached to cup the back of his neck. It was a standard reaction of his when he bordered on annoyance.

"Calm your little friend Daniel. It's probably --" The opening of her front door and shouts from their friends cut her words off quickly.

"Hey!" They knew those voices all too well. Marie pressed a quick peck against his cheek in passing on her way through the kitchen door. As soon as they stepped into the living room they were bombarded with flying pillows and sex jokes.

"Wake up..." Joseph stood over Marie and shook her shoulders.

"What? What the hell, Joe?" A push was given against his chest to get him away from her but he didn't budge.

"Wake up."

She blinked several times as her living room blurred in front of her. When it continued to fade in and out she shook her head, squeezed her eyes shut then opened one partly to peek out.

"She's a weak hunter. Never thought I'd see one so pathetic." Christine mumbled from the couch while checking her nails. All the while, the environment around them was blurred...fading away.

"What are you talking about? What hunter?" Marie was growing increasingly frustrated with their actions and comments. "Knock it off guys this isn't funny. What the hell is going on?"

"Wake up!"

The world she was experiencing died and pulled away from her like a vacuum as she spiraled up and out of it at a nauseating speed. The migraine that followed brought the butt of both of her palms to push against her closed eyelids as she released a pain-filled cry.

"Finally awake I see. Good. We have questions." The disembodied voice that spoke forced her narrowed gaze open to move around the dim room. She focused on the tall, very well toned man standing near the end of her bed. The ice blue eyes that stared back at her looked very familiar but they were cold, and cruel...and inviting. What the hell? His eyes widened slightly on her before he forced them away and clenched his jaw.

"Why did you come here hunter?" he asked. His voice sounded strained. It's burr coursed through her like a hot cocoa drink on a freezing day. She wanted more.

"What? I don't hunt," she answered softly, her voice breaking through the words. His aggression was ignored in light of the confusion she was still trying to sort through. "Can I get some water?" Marie struggled to sit up in the bed, one hand massaging her sore throat. "What happened?" Seeing that the man still refused to look at her, she sought the other occupant in the room.

A blonde woman stood not too far from her bed, both hands kneading tightly in front of her as if she was restraining herself. The look that was given told Marie she wasn't going to receive any help from her. Her eyes burned with hatred. Towards her? Why? She had never even met the woman before to justify the strong feeling.

"You were in an accident. Your companions are dead." His words lacked kindness. Not even trying to slowly prepare her for the news. This wasn't happening. No...she was likely dreaming and she would wake soon. Perhaps she was in a coma, or shock from the accident? Her eyes squeezed shut then opened, each time finding the same man and woman standing in front of her. No...no, no, no...