Chapter 3 - Mourning (Edited)

(The image above is of Greyson. Yummy <3 )

The man who had informed her of her friend's demise had eventually left her after countless attempts of trying to question her with no response outside of sobbing. His frustration was apparent by the slamming of the door behind him and the other female. What did he expect? On top of the pain, she lost her friends...her family. She had known Christine and Joseph since they were children. Their parents would be devastated. She was devastated and in desperate want to feel compassion and support from at least one person she knew.

The information was hard to process. Sometimes she questioned the truth. Other times she mourned their loss and relented to the idea that they were gone. Such an odd and painful thing: coming to terms with a death. Her head lifted to look around the empty cabin they had brought her to.

Why was she here? Why had they not called for an ambulance? Yes, they'd been a good distance from civilization but she knew emergency services would still come. So why hadn't they? Why was she in an old, damp cabin instead of a hospital?

Both of her hands reached up to push through her hair, pulling slightly in total disregard to the headache screaming in protest. They should have taken her to the hospital. Is that why her friends were dead? If they were badly injured, the lack of care was probably what killed them. An agitated cry let loose in anger and remorse. She should have said no when Daniel talked about the trip. It was too cold; the roads were iced and unpredictable.

The tears burned her eyes anew as she thought of them. This was just too much... Why couldn't she remember what happened? Everything was fuzzy. She remembered packing the SUV for the trip, but nothing past it. How had they crashed? How did they come to find them?

Anger and frustration at so many unanswered questions spurred her to swing her feet around and drop them to the floor. Pulling her weight up on her feet was an unexpected battle. Marie's fingers dug into the bedpost, clutching it with all her strength while her legs remained wobbly beneath her. "Damn." The weakness made her question how long was she'd been out. The ability to walk, something done since she was a toddler, seemed impossible at the moment. Strenuous. It was painfully uncomfortable but she forced herself to let go of the post and take a step. As much of a step as it could be considered when scooting ones foot slowly across the cold floor.

She was already out of breath and only had managed to make it halfway to the door. It was here that she paused to rest, hands pressing against her thighs, kneading the tight muscles. As she straightened, she caught a flash of movement to her left and turned her head quickly only to find her own red-rimmed eyes staring back at her in a full length standing mirror.

Shaking fingers lifted to brush over the gauze taped to her throat, and higher still to gently touch the bruises and scrapes covering the right side of her face. Some looked nearly healed. She must have been out for awhile. The bandage on her forehead called her attention more and she could not resist pulling it back, wincing and hissing slightly when the tape pulled at her hair.

The wound beneath the dressing caused her to pale, forcing a hand to cup over her mouth as nausea rolled her stomach. The hair around it had been shaved; the flesh was a deep, angry red, marred by dark black stitches, each meticulously crossed over the cut to hold it close. The entire length of it must have reached nearly three inches.

"You were lucky. You should have died with the others."

His voice behind her made her forget her physical capabilities momentarily as she spun around to face him. A mistake, realized too late when her balance teetered. Panic ensued as she felt herself falling. Hoping to right herself she reached both hands out to catch the mirror only to flinch in surprise to find it warm and returning the grip. It was an electrifying grip that sent pleasant tingles down her arms. Followed then by a moment of weightlessness and pure bliss, wrapped in the warm tingles.

He had picked her up to carry her back to the bed. His contact soothed her somewhat and absentmindedly made her snuggle closer to his chest as she tried to ward off the pounding of her brain. It felt completely natural to do so and she didn't think twice about the intimate action.

"You shouldn't be out of bed. You have severe bruising covering your back and hips." Marie would have lifted her shirt to check herself had his hold not held her shirt tightly against her skin. "Doc watched you close over the first week. He said surgery wasn't required but you needed a good deal of rest to allow for your body to heal. More than a hunter deserves." His words stunned her to silence. Disbelieving that he would say such a thing to her. She heard his struggle with himself, the grip around her body tightening momentarily. She hissed with pain. "I really should have just let you fall and left you there. But my mother would be disappointed. Even if you are a hunter."

"Please stop talking," Marie implored. His hold brought his mouth close to her ear and when he spoke it sounded like he was shouting. She knew it came off rude but the migraine pulsing in her head was taking every bit of sound and light and amplifying it twenty times over. At least it seemed like that to her.

"A simple thanks would do." Her impressed rudeness received a similar retort and rough drop back onto the mattress. The jolt of agony that followed caused her to jerk back then curl up, holding both her hands over her head though the rest of her body sought comfort. She didn't know which to cradle. At the moment, her head hurt more so it won the battle. Wallowing in her own pain, she failed to notice the man who had caused it, flinched in remorse.

Perhaps he was a bit crass. He felt that familiar stirring from before. That rush of protectiveness that had him lifting a hand to comfort her though pulled away just short of touching her head.She was a hunter. "I'll send someone in to tend to you."

Marie didn't even register when he left or when he was replaced by a woman who pressed something warm and bitter against her lips. A quick glance found the blonde from before who was present when she first woke but had slipped out when the sobbing had started.

"Take it. It will help with your pain." The direction was firm, void of any compassion. Marie swallowed it without reservation and remained curled up, wishing the pain away. The woman moved around silently, cleaning and redressing the wound on her forehead. She must have been the doctor the other man spoke to her about.

The pain slowly ebbed away until she could bring both eyes to open. "Thank you." Though the woman was content with the quiet tension, she was not. She needed some answers. "What happened to my friends?" Silence answered her. The woman even kept her head down and avoided looking at her.

The lack of response allowed Marie's curiosity to look over her, taking in her appearance. She was dressed in a long grey dress, tied at the waist with a thin rope belt. The sleeves were full, draping beautifully from her arms and around her wrists. It was the type of clothing she'd only seen in movies based during the medieval era. "Where am I?" Silence.

"Please...I'm so confused. I need answers." Nothing. Why? They were treating her like a prisoner. What the hell was going on? "Can I use your phone?" The woman shook her head.

"There is no phone. No television. No email," came the soft reply. The only one. Marie's mouth fell open and for the first time she took in the whole of the room. Their light source and warmth was from the fireplace in the corner and a few candles strategically placed to spread the glow. This couldn't be happening.

"I want to go home. Please. Help me" Her voice felt heavy with the plea. Fresh tears pooled in her eyes, threatening to spill again. She was terrified that they would hurt her. Why else keep her here? They refused to answer her questions, refused to treat her properly. Her gaze followed the woman across the cabin as she moved back to the door. Just as she was about to step out she paused and looked back at her.

"You cannot leave. You should not have come to find us. They killhunters without asking questions. I do not know why you're evenstill alive. He should have killed you instead of bringing you here."Her departure left a wake of new fear and disbelief.