Chapter 18 - Dinner is served (Edited)

By the time Stephany was done with her, Marie knew how to make scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage, chili and tonight's meal: roasted venison with mashed potatoes, steamed brocolli and rolls. She was awed by the amount of food they managed to cook by noon. Alec had been more than willing to eat what they dished out. Even the burnt attempts. Which happened fairly frequently. Marie's like for the man rose a couple notches when she saw the slight twitch of his jaw as he was eating the burnt chili. It was obviously not good but he didn't belittle her with complaints or shoving it aside.

She enjoyed her time with her new red-haired friend. The woman was a godsend in the kitchen and the perfect teacher for her. At first she had her doubts on the cooking session. They didn't have the standard kitchen appliances. The stove they used was supplied by a gas tank buried outside. It was half the size of a normal stove/oven combo but certainly not less functional. Stephany had two because of the amount of mouths she had to feed. Working side by side made her learning easier as she watched the werewolf while making her own at the same time.

They did not have your standard fridge/freezer either. There was small box built into the side of the home, the door secured with insulation so to keep the cool air from coming in. In the winter months it kept the food inside cold so they were able to store things like eggs, milk, meat and on special occasions: ice cream. Stephany told her that in the summer months Greyson would occasionally have a trader bring dry ice so they could utilize it a couple of times but that it mostly remained empty. They had to collect the ingredients fresh from the farming lots every morning. That is where they stored the meat, using generators to maintain the freezers.

Now, Marie was, by no means, a lazy woman, but that bit of information left her wondering how she could maintain a life here. So used to the standard luxuries of life. Of walking to the kitchen, opening the fridge and grabbing a bottle of orange juice or a cola. Here, orange juice was maintained only when the trees were in season and the cola was non-existent. It left her to wonder if she'd ever be able to visit the city again, see her home and tell her parents that she was alright.

Those thoughts still plagued her as she left Stephany's house, turning about a little ways down the path to wave at her new friend. The venison they had prepared was wrapped neatly and tucked for safe keeping beneath her other arm. She hope that Greyson liked it. All she had to do was fix the mashed potatoes and the vegetables. Alec promised that he wouldn't be home yet for a little while. His Alpha duties had piled up while he was with her. That made her blush and hide her face from him. But it gave her time to prepare.

Once she was back at his place, she quickly cleaned up and set the table with a few candles, just enough to give them that romantic glow. She was excited. Tonight would be the first night they were just two people getting to know each other. She was determined to learn more about him and even tell him about her life. Hopefully she'd be able to warm him up to the idea of taking her into the city. Letting her see her parents...or at least call them. Reassure them, and tell them that she loves them.

When he finally came home, she was just placing the bowl of rolls on the table. Their eyes met over the candle flames, freezing her in place. She watched the surprise in his eyes change to affection then a deeper emotion that had her blushing.

"None of that...yet. Dinner is ready and I don't want it to get cold." Being a human, she did not know how difficult it was to maintain your wolf once he hungered for something. The amber tone in his eyes threatened his wolf's control as he stalked her back into the kitchen. A soft squeak left her lips as he backed her into the counter and instantly cupped her backside, lifting her effortlessly to sit on the cold surface. His form planted itself firmly between her legs as he buried his face against her neck and took a deep breath. The tension in his shoulders began to relax beneath her hands and she smiled, knowing he was fighting to regain control.