48. You Want Me 'Cause I'm Taken

Chapter Forty-Eight

The sun rays pierced through my window, waking me up. I shook my head contemplating on whether I should do something today or maybe staying in bed was the better option? But this weather, it was begging for me to come out. So what better thing is there to do on a sunny Saturday than going to a vintage market in town? 

I quickly got ready pulling on an aztec print dress and a pair of spycee high heeled sandals, before grabbing an apple to go and leaving the house. I didn't really like shopping alone, but Layna was away for the weekend and I still haven't spoken to Casey since the argument in school. I didn't know what to say to her. I knew I did wrong along with the fact I punched Kyle a few minutes later, but I just didn't understand who's side she was on and how she could possibly be on his?

The market was crowded, like any other Saturday. I walked between stands filled with jewellery, art and dishes, trying to find something for myself.  A small photo frame caught my eye on the next stand. I walked over reaching for it but to my dismay so did another hand from behind me. Our hands ended up touching, I closed my eyes and sighed internally at the familiar spark that shot through me from the touch. 

"Oh I'm sorry." The voice sounded genuinely apologetic.

"Don't worry. "I muttered, turning away from him and trying to escape. 

"Hannah, I know its you."

I stopped in my tracks. "Kyle, I don't want to talk to you."

"Are you gonna punch me again?" He remarked, and I could just see him smirking without even having to look at him. "That was a pretty good punch you know?"

I turned on my heels to face him, his lip was slightly bruised but nothing close to what I wanted.  "Well it was powered by fury and anger."

He rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry about Monday. I over reacted. But seeing you with him kills me Hannah."

"Well then imagine what I feel when I see you with Jade." I told him.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry Hannah. It really hurts."

I sighed. "Well get used to it Kyle, because I'm going out with him."

Kyles eyes narrowed. "Are you serious!?"

"Yes?"

"Hannah you can't—"

"Whoa!" I took a step back putting my arms up. "What do you mean I can't? Who are you to tell me who I can and can't date?"

"Hannah he's not right for you." Kyle insisted.

"Oh and you were?" I asked. 

He sighed. "Thats different—"

"I've made so many mistakes with guys I might as well risk another one." I shrugged, pretending not to care while dying inside. 

Kyle blinked in surprise. I could tell my words hurt him. "You mean, I was a mistake?"

"Kyle! You cheated on me!" I reminded him.

"Not intentionally—"

"You know what? I don't want to have this conversation with you. I'm done." I turned on my heels and walked off, not even looking back.

I didn't need him in my life anymore. I didn't want him. I had Joey.

~***~

"Had fun shopping sweetheart?" My mother asked as I entered the kitchen after getting home.

"It would have been alright if I didnt have a bad habit of running into people that I dont want to see." I told her.

"Kyle?" She asked. I nodded. "What did he say?"

"I told him I was with Joey and he started telling me how its the wrong thing to do like he was the right one!" I told her. "Mum I cant deal with this. I have no idea what I'm doing."

She sighed sitting opposite the table to me. "Do you like Joey?"

"Of course I do."

"Well then why do you care what Kyle has to say about it?" She asked.

I shrugged. "I've just made so many bad decisions with guys I don't want to get hurt again."

My mum shook her head. "I hate seeing you hurt sweetheart but you can't look at every guy that way. Because if you do, you'll never give your prince charming a chance. And who knows, it could be Joey." She winked.

"I don't believe in prince charming." I told her sadly. 

She rubbed my back. "Joey isn't going to hurt you huney. I just know he won't. And as for Kyle, don't let him effect the way you look at other guys."

"I wont." And I wasn't. He meant nothing to me anymore. They say third time lucky, but in my case maybe it was the fourth. I had to give Joey a chance.