8 | Today was the day

Start from the beginning

Laying out the Daily Prophet, she took a sip of tea. She skimmed through the article on the front page, but her gaze kept returning to the picture of the Minister next to an empty pedestal. Her fingers ran over it. Soon, the peace offering would be in that box for both wizarding communities to see. Right before her own eyes.

"It's almost time." She leaned back and smiled. Tomorrow, everything would be as it should. She had a plan. Almost. When she saw the item and the security, she could cement the plan. Then put it in motion, and no one, not the Ministry, not the Aurors, not even Potter would be able to stop her.

Smiling, she finished her tea and continued reading the paper, catching up on the rest of her world. Two cups and a little later, she placed her empty cup in the sink then started for the door. It was almost noon. As she grabbed her bag, she stopped and looked back at her room. It never hurt to take precautions. You never knew who you'd meet along the way.

Dashing quickly into her bedroom, she moved to her closet, pulling out her wand. She muttered a handful of revealing spells, and a moment later, a two-by-two foot box appeared. A simple unlocking spell opened it to expose ten smaller boxes within. She picked the one on the bottom right and opened it.

P.P. was scribbled inside the lid and thirty vials filled it, half of them empty. She'd need to restock her supply soon. Grabbing one, she carefully slipped it into her bag. Just a safety measure. Her glamour charms were usually strong enough, but this was one job she didn't want to take any chances. With a quick nod, she closed the boxes and then made certain the main one disappeared into a bundle of strong charms.

She was out the door and into the early summer afternoon at a little before twelve. She leaned her head back as she walked, smiling. After making sure the wards were up around her flat, she walked out of her building and to an apparition zone.

Stepping into the Leaky Cauldron had been a mistake. People noticed her. She ignored them, stopping by Hannah to grab a tea to go. Hannah smiled and nodded, disappearing for a moment. When she returned, she handed Ginny a portable coffee cup. Ginny paid and was on her way, but not before the questions started in.

"Ginny Weasley! Haven't seen you around much!" An elderly wizard in dark purple robes caught her first.

"Yeah," she said, passing as fast as she could.

"How's your mum?" a middle-aged witch asked.

"Fine," she mumbled, passing.

"Any more children in the Weasley clan?"

"Seen Potter lately?"

"What're you up to nowadays?"

Shot like spells around her, but she was done with being pleasant and polite. She disappeared into the back room as laughter filled the room. She closed her eyes and exhaled. People were too much, but she wouldn't let it get to her. Not today of all days.

Squaring her shoulders, she tapped her wand against the Diagon Alley entrance. As the bricks moved, she casted a quick glamour, the color and length of her hair changing. The long, red locks were too noticeable. Now, her hair was a short brown bob, just to her chin. She frowned, twisting a strand around her finger. It wasn't distasteful, but she preferred her natural color. As she stepped through the entrance, she pulled on a pair of sunglasses.

For a moment, she watched as witches and wizards went on with their own business. All immersed in their lives and comfortably so. It was nice to see, but she had more important things to do than people watch. She took a sip of her teas and then disappeared down the darkness of Knockturn Alley.