The light inside the darkness

Start from the beginning

*

"You mean the mysterious stranger from the third floor is Mr. Pride's father, and he's twenty-something years old?" Ben asked, his eyes sparkling with curiosity as he rose from the pillow of his bed. He was tousled and still in his pajamas when Ferry came to his room, that Sunday morning.

"I'm sure I heard it right, Ben."

Ben scratched the back of his head, "Maybe he had plastic surgery to look younger. Rich people do that, you know."

Ferry shook his head, "I don't know, I don't think so..."

"Anyway, I don't understand why Billy's grandfather would hide. Why do they keep that floor locked? What are they hiding?"

"Whatever it is, it has to do with the Quest. It seems to be very important for the future of the family and for their business partners. It's like the well-being of the Pride family depends on it.""No one knows what the Quest means," said Ben. "From what my father said, Mr. Pride is part of a select club that meets at the mansion every seven years, during the summer solstice. All the employees are free that night, but my sister heard from a girl working at the mansion that, each time, the maze is almost destroyed after the Quest is over. Gardeners are brought from the Big City to restore it and replant the shrubs that have to grow back until the next Quest. I think they bring animals and they hunt for pleasure," said Ben, shivering. "It seems the greatest cruelty to kill a defenseless being with cold blood. But I guess that's how rich people are, more eccentric. Which is not an excuse. I wonder if..."

"What?"

"If Celia and Billy will take part in the competition, this year. Seven years ago they were too young for that. But now..."

"What difference does it make?" Ferry wondered.

Ben looked away, "I wouldn't want to know she— they ... are capable of this."

"Rich people are not like us," said Ferry, remembering his mother's words.

"Rich people are still people," Ben softly said. "They still bleed if they got cut ..."

Ferry was lost in thought. He had noticed something at the guest. "But what does it mean if they don't bleed?"

"What do you mean?" Ben asked.

"I saw the stranger cutting his hand. But he didn't bleed. Not even a drop."

"You mean he has some kind of superpower?"

"Something like that," Ferry said thoughtfully. "I'm telling you, Ben, something's wrong with that man. And I have to find out what."

"But you promised your mother you wouldn't go in there."

Ferry nodded. Walking across Ben's room, he saw at the telescope his friend had built, which was standing by the window.