Chapter 10: Kisses, Trolls, and an Argument

Start from the beginning

There had been relative peace in camp tonight even as Fili and Kili played their occasional pranks. The brothers had discovered the laser pointer on Sara's keys and subsequently spent a good ten minutes watching Dwalin try to buff the red dot off of his ax. Their snickering finally gave them away and a perturbed Dwalin sent them to gather firewood, claiming that if they had so much free time, then he would fill it for them. Twenty minutes later Fili and Kili escaped to Sara's tent, where she sat making her daily notes.

"He didn't take kindly to it," said Fili, popping his head inside the tent and handing her back the laser pointer.

"I warned you," she said. "Don't mess with Dwalin." She tried to tuck her notebook inside her crammed pack. It had been a long day and the hour had grown late. She checked her phone before dropping it onto her sleeping bag. Way late... almost 2 am. Normally they were asleep long ago but Thorin had said they would take a rest day tomorrow. Sara was looking forward to sleeping in.

"But you should have seen his face when the dot kept reappearing," said Kili. The flashlight hanging over her head swung back and forth as Fili and Kili took a seat inside her tent. Sara upended her bag so she could organize and repack it.

"I prefer not to see Dwalin angry," she said sorting through her belongings. "I have a sneaking suspicion you live longer that way." The bag of Hershey Kisses fell out of the bottom of her pack and she eagerly picked it up.

"Sara," asked Kili, picking up her phone and clicking the screen on. "Can we play that ghost game again?" Sara smirked as she opened the bag of candy. The two had been fiddling with her phone a few days ago when they had stumbled across the games. Within a matter of hours, they had become regular cellphone game junkies.

"You mean Pac-Man?"

"Yeah, that one."

"Sure thing, just be careful with my phone." Eagerly Kili found the game and soon the brothers were engrossed in the tiny screen. Sara finished repacking her bag leaving the candy aside.

"Do you two want to kiss?" she asked, reaching into the small plastic bag.

"What?" asked Fili, glancing up distractedly.

"Do you want a kiss," she repeated. Fili looked taken aback as his cheeks flushed and he began to stammer.

"Sara... I um... I don't think that's a good..." She looked up, immediately understanding the miscommunication. She hadn't meant to cause the confusion but now that she had...

"Are you sure? My kisses are very good; sweet and silky. And I mean you have never had one. I thought you would want to try at least one," she purred, trying not to laugh as Fili's face grew redder.

"I have kissed before," said Fili looking away. She tried not to snicker.

"Ah but I'm positive you have never had one like mine."

She had Kili's attention now. He looked up from the phone, his eyes flicking to the bag at her side and quickly reading the label. Kili grinned and she winked at him when Fili looked away from her.

"Couldn't get enough of him a few days ago," asked Kili. He clapped a hand on Fili's shoulder. "Brother you're just irresistible."

"I still don't think..." said Fili, backing away from them both slightly. "I mean not that you're ... it's not really... it's just that..."

"Well if that's how you feel about it," said Sara, shrugging. "What about you Kili? Do you want one of my kisses?"

"I would love one of your kisses Sara."

"But I thought..." said Fili, leaning forward and glancing between her and Kili. "You can't...you can't just go around offering kisses to people."

"Why not?" said Sara. "Kisses are meant to be shared. I was going to offer some to the entire company."