Chapter Five: The Charity Night

Leslie took a deep breath as she looked at herself in the mirror as she finished putting on her make-up, she liked doing her own make-up and she refused to let Morgan near her while she was doing it.

Leslie was a little nervous about the charity night and she knew that Morgan was going to be a pain.

“Are you nearly ready Leslie?” Janice Wright asked knocking on her eldest daughter’s bedroom door, she had been excited when she had heard what her two daughters were going to do.

Janice was always talking to Morgan about finding herself the perfect husband, she knew that she wanted her daughters to marry well and she often lost hope when it came to Leslie.

“I’m ready madre,” Leslie said checking herself over in the mirror, she was wearing a black and white geo bodycon dress paired with black high heels for the party and had to admit that she liked how she looked; it wasn’t like her other dresses.

Janice pursed her lips as Leslie stepped out of the bathroom, she nodded her head knowing that this was probably the best that her oldest daughter could do and sighed knowing that she always had Morgan to help her.

“You look so pretty Leslie,” Morgan said stepping into the room wearing a red sexy cross front peplum bodycon dress, she smiled knowing that she was glad that her sister wasn’t as pretty as she was; she would have had to push her down the stairs or something when it came to getting a date.

Leslie nodded her head flashing her sister a small smile, she knew that that was the best that she was going to get out of Morgan and she was going to take it; she didn’t really care what her mother and sister thought anyway.

“Now I want one of you to wear these tonight,” Janice said producing a set of rose gold-plated crystal set medium round drop earrings that she had with her.

“They belonged to my madre and she wore them when she meet my padre,” Janice said looking at her two daughters, she had been waiting for the right time to give them to one of them.

Leslie stared at the earrings, she could remember her grandmother wearing them and she had always loved them; she had been said when her mother had claimed them after her grandmother had passed away.

“Now I know you don’t like flashy things Leslie, so Morgan would you do the honours,” Janice said turning to smile at her youngest daughter, Morgan would get more use out of the earrings than her sister would.

Leslie swallowed watching her mother gift the family heirloom to her younger sister, she tried not to show how disappointed that she was as she moved to collect her black wrap around detail clutch bag.

Leslie couldn’t bring herself to watch her mother and sister, she knew that Morgan was just going to show off that she had gotten the family heirloom and Leslie hadn’t.

Lloyd Wright looked up as his eldest daughter stepped out of her bedroom, he watched her school her expression making him sigh.

“You look hermonsa,” Lloyd said pushing himself to his feet, he’d hoped his wife would give the earrings to Leslie especially since she would understand their value more than her sister would.

Leslie offered him a weak smile, she shouldn’t be surprised that this had happened; it wasn’t the first time that her mother had passed her over for something like this.

***

Morgan squealed in excitement as they walked through the entrance of the hotel where the charity event was being held; she looked around knowing that she was born for this life.

“Girl this is the life for me,” Morgan said eyeing some of the footballers that she could see, she knew that she was going to have to bag herself one tonight; she just needed to find the right one.