Chapter 17- Grace

There was an urgent announcement from the Emperor the next day, and he called the court to gather in the Great Hall at dawn. Usually, the shuffling feet of the nobles in the early morning would cause some sort of noise, but it was as if we were all taking a moment of silence. The gloom of it was terrifying.

I hadn't noticed the signs before, and I could have kicked myself for it. The way the Lords of all the noble houses were meeting day after day, the hushed whispers in the hall, the absence of the Emperor, Leven and my father scarcely inviting me to their meals. The men of the castle were prepping, quietly and covertly.

It was felt outside the castle too, I noticed, as I watched the first rays of sunlight wash away the quiet night. From the view of my window, the street below looked devoid of happiness. Soldiers lined the walls outside the castle, and people knew well enough to stay far away from them. Anytime someone couldn't avoid walking by the gates, they scurried with their heads down.

People were scared, and I hadn't even noticed. What were the Mariner's in Fairharbor feeling, what pressures were my father and Leven pushing on them, while I was locked away behind the iron gates of the court?

Heart sinking, I knew I must have appeared like the worst ruler in Mantiva. A scared little girl, hiding behind the crown, and leaving her people to fend for themselves.

Lina would have done better.

A knock on my chamber door sent my reeling mind into silence. Looking away from the vacant street, my heart plunged even farther into the depths of fear. Drayce stood in the entryway, hands clasped behind his back, as he watched me with expectant eyes.

"Time to go, Grace."

The way he spoke those words, combined with the somber walk down to the Hall, made me feel as if I was marching to my own execution. With the rush of people trying to fill the room, I was pleased that Drayce stayed strong and silent by my side.

I curled my hands into fists, willing myself to refrain from grabbing Drayce's large arm for support. Throwing my head back, I hoped I relayed more confidence than I felt, and stepped into the crowded hall.

The room grew noticeably quiet. Heads turned to look my way. My hands grew clammy as my pulse went haywire, alerting the beast inside. With each burning gaze, I felt her growl defensively. With each hushed whisper, she bristled painfully. Her main concern was survival, ensuring no one approached us while we were vulnerable. I wanted to look as frightening as they made me feel.

I refrained from obsessively checking my gown for imperfections, but my fear must have been obvious on my face. Drayce's crisp, clean scent wafted over me before I felt his gentle hand on my back and he led me past the rows of gawking nobles.

I was too thankful to worry about the gossip his kind actions would start.

At the front of the room, the heirs had taken their respective spots in front of the dias. Nolan was watching me curiously, that smirk on his face raising every hair on my arms. Next to him, Chay was a calm presence, his face blank but his eyes following Drayce's hand on my back. Aela wasn't looking my way, her eyes trained on the thrones atop the dias with a worrisome frown.

As I neared the end of the crowd, a voice called my name. My father was standing in the front row, Leven handsomely dressed up and glued to his side. With a glance at Drayce, who simply stared at me with no indication, I turned and walked to sit beside them.

Drayce moved to stand quietly at the wall, but I quickly grabbed his sleeve to stop him. He peeked down at me with raised eyebrows, but I simply let go of his arm and nodded to the space that was unoccupied to my left. Without looking to see if he complied- I knew he did, by the way his sheathed sword hit my leg as he settled on the bench- I turned to Callum Reeves.