Chapter 16- Grace

The library lacked its usual appeal today, but it was hardly any fault of its own. Sure, the decor was priceless and elegant and shades of beautiful purples, reds and golds. The looming bookcases provided a sense of security and wonder at what could be found between those aisles. And the grand, stained-glass windows that covered the whole eastern wall allowed dancing streams of light to shine across our table.

But everything seemed to pale in comparison to the Duke that blessed the other seat.

Chay's blonde hair shimmered in the daylight, his long fingers running wild in the loose tresses. He growled in frustration as he looked up from the tome he was studying, eyes blaring with magic. My inner beast was happy to respond with a surge of power of her own, and I'm sure my eyes lit up in orange hues.

"There is nothing here about your lineage," Chay was annoyed, but he was careful about what words he used when discussing my power. "All it talks about it some golden necklace the Princess had."

I snapped out of my reverie, reaching across the table to take the book from him. My fingers brushed his as I slid the worn pages close enough to read, causing Chay to respond with a little teasing growl of warning.

Biting a smile back, I studied the chapter he was reading on Auzryn's magical history. My mother was present in many books, having been a very forward and open member of the royal family, and known to share her private life with anyone who proved worthy of writing about it. There was mixed reviews of how her parents, the maddened King and Queen of Auzryn, took this, but ultimately she was a topic of interest nonetheless.

As my eyes scanned the words, I found myself thinking of my own necklace, forgotten somewhere in my chambers and since lost. "This says that her necklace was made of a rare type of gold, known to only be mined in Auzyrn. It was customarily used in binding a royal child's powers until they were old enough to control it, but Kadia stated it was used to hide the true extent of her power from the outside world."

Heart squeezing, I found Chay watching me as I pondered. What I had known of my mother, she was a kind and caring woman, despite being raised by the despicable Norlyn King. It was hard to imagine her as a powerful, poised Princess.

"Do you think the King was keeping her as a sort of weapon?" Chay asked, his fingers reaching across the table to brush the back of my hand in a soothing caress. "Or was it more of a way of controlling her powers?"

"I could understand the need to control her powers," I whispered, opening my palm to allow Chay's fingers to continue their path of exploration. "I feel so useless in harnessing mine still. They've settled, possibly getting used to me, but it's still so... untamed."

Fingers encircling my wrist, Chay gripped me and looked into my eyes with conviction. "We will find a way for you to use them. There must be a way to call upon them, and we will figure it out."

Taking a deep breath, I refused to let the doubt creep back in. Chay had first hand experience in learning his magic, and I had to believe there was a way he would help with mine, too. My beast hardly even wanted to show herself, so I had nothing to worry about. Nothing was going to be unleashed, nothing would get out of control.

The prophecy was wrong. I was not going to let my magic be the downfall of Mantiva.

"How adorable."

The deep voice of the smirking Grand Duke had Chay and I jumping apart. I felt my cheeks flush despite myself, and Nolan let out a chuckle as he saw it. His strong, lean body perched against our table like it was a throne as his glittering eyes landed on me.

"You seem to have my dear brother smitten, Lady Grace." Nolan mocked, staring at me like a cat might watch a doormouse. Those shocking green eyes lit up as I sat speechless under his gaze, his head cocked to the side.