Chapter 2 - Grace

I was in the tearoom on the soft velvet seat next to Duchess Aela Murgomery, watching her beautiful blonde ringlets tangle around her finger as we sat through another dry lesson on the neighbouring Courts.  Aela's big blue eyes caught mine, and she had just sent me an exasperated look when I heard the most unexpected words.

"Lady Reeves, your father requests your presence in the Great Hall."

I did a double-take at the round-faced servant who had bowed her head, giving her a look I could only imagine was pure shock. I collected myself, hiding my surprise in a quickly feigned unconcerned look.

Brushing my silk skirt out to fan my legs, I curtsied my leave to Duchess Aela, who mirrored my astonished expression with much less restraint. The other two ladies in waiting, Lady Bria and Lady Faye, hardly looked my way as they listened to the monotone tutor discuss the traditional decor of our neighbouring kingdom's, Auzryn, long since overthrown castle.

I flowed past the bowed servant as I straightened my back and tossed my long chestnut waves back over my shoulders. When I had reached the corridor, I managed to find an alcove with a window facing down into the courtyard and peered out into the spring day.

The servant was not mistaken. There it was. The telltale silver and rouge carriage, the thin flag of the mariners House of Reeves protruding out to the side like a wing; a bright silver flag with a blood red compass stitched into the fabric, a trident spearing through the middle of the compass.

My father was actually here. In the four years I had been at the Mantiva Court, my father had visited me a measly three times. Once to bring me the rest of my belongings when it was apparent I was staying. Once to discuss marriage prospects with the Emperor, having me present to reinforce my beauty and coming of age to the man, and convince him I may be of good use in a marriage alliance. The last time had been to inform me that mother had passed away, after slowly being poisoned from her magic for years with no release.

I clutched my golden chain, my hand tracing the dainty outlines of my initial as thoughts raced through my head.

Had something happened to Lina? Had my father finally managed to find me a suitable match? Was I going to be sent away to improve my standing once more?

You are grateful, I reminded myself. I straightened my back once more, using the window as a mirror to straighten the flowery silver headpiece that accented my chestnut waves. I did a quick once over of my big chocolate brown eyes, my high cheekbones dusted with powder, my perfectly smoothed dusty pink gown with the white lace shawl buttoned around my shoulders.

You are grateful to be accepted by the Duchess. You are grateful to be Lady of Fairharbor. You are grateful to have found a purpose in the Court.

Grateful to be used as a ladder for the people of Fairharbor, in the hope that my success will bring attention and funds to the neglected conditions of Mantiva's fishermen.

Refusing to let myself stew in my racing thoughts any longer, I ripped my eyes from the window and turned down the corridor towards the Great Hall. My feet barely made any noise on the red carpeted floors, my stride confident and full of purpose even though I wished I could be scrambling back through the halls unnoticed.

As I approached the large wooden doors of the Hall, I nodded to the two leather-clad guards posted outside in affirmation to open the doors. I sent myself one last steeling thought.