Chapter Six

I woke up the next morning and got ready. I went down to the dining hall and ate a quick breakfast before going to the training grounds. I found Avalon there, waiting for me. She held a bow in her hands and there was a quiver of arrows on her back.

"I see you're all ready to go," I noted.

Avalon nodded.

"You know you can create a bow from shadows right?" I asked, "Same thing with arrows."

"I didn't know that," Avalon stated.

I held out my hands and she passed me her bow and arrows.

"What do I do?" she asked.

"Summon a bow," I told her, "Just concentrate."

She focused her powers and outstretched her hand and sure enough, a bow made of shadows appeared.

"What about arrows?" she asked, "I'll need a full quiver."

"That's the beauty of a bow made of shadows," I told her, "You don't need a quiver full of arrows. Pull back on the bowstring, like you're going to fire a shot."

She did as I said and an arrow made of shadows appeared on the string.

"Whoa," she gasped.

"An infinite supply of arrows and no need for a quiver," I told her.

"That's so cool!" she exclaimed.

I smiled as she lit up. She was full of light and her heart was pure. My heart pounded in my chest and I hoped that she couldn't hear it. What was happening to me? I couldn't have been falling for her, could I? No. I couldn't let that happen. If I fell for her then I'd risk exposing her to my pain. I couldn't do that to her.

She shot an arrow at the target and hit the bullseye.

"Wow!" she exclaimed, "I've never actually been able to hit the bullseye before. I mean I've come close, but..."

"That's because this bow and these arrows are made by your own powers," I told her, "You're getting comfortable with the powers you were born with and it shows. You wouldn't have hit that bullseye if you were unsure of yourself."

"Have you ever used a bow before?" she asked curiously.

"Yes," I replied.

"Will you show me?" she asked.

I chuckled.

"I suppose my shoulder is healed enough," I stated. I created a bow out of shadows and aimed at the target. I inhaled and pulled the bowstring back. Each move was familiar and deliberate. It felt comforting in a way. It made me feel at peace, but archery always had that effect on me. It was a temporary escape, so to speak.

I felt an arrow appear on the bowstring and released it. It cut through the air and split Avalon's arrow down the middle before embedding itself in the bullseye.

Her jaw dropped in shock as she turned to look at me.

"How long did you say you've been doing this for?" she asked as she recovered from the shock.