Ch: 24 Even Strength

Start from the beginning

“What does this text mean dude?” said Finn walking out of the empty store and in front of the truck.

“Not planned huh.”

I felt like throwing my head against the side of the truck a few times and getting myself out of this impending conversation when Finn noticed me next to Cade.

“Darcy?”

“You actually know my name? I thought I was just Addie’s loud friend.”

“Ever since Patrick Swayze over here divulged his dancing past he hasn’t shut up about you.”

“You told him? Seriously?”

“He guessed actually.” Cade said shrugging and stuffing another bugle into his mouth.

I ignored the double meaning of Finn’s comment and continued on the thoughts in my brain rattling into one incoherent line of garbage. Finn was smarter than I originally thought and that over everything else was actually throwing me for a loop the most.  I wasn’t going to beat around the bush with him since I was pretty sure that would actually amuse him.

“You weren’t at the party everyone said you were at meaning you didn’t cheat on Darcy like everyone said.”

“Right.”

“Then why the hell would you break up with her? How dumb are you? Because a bunch of your buddies think she’s weird that means you have to go along with them, ever heard of free speech or I don’t know thinking for yourself! She was painting black clouds for three weeks after that because you were too scared your friends would drop you if you actually continued to show interest in a girl that wasn’t a part of your lame crowd.”

“I’m an idiot I know ok.”

“Why the sudden need to get her back? Why the sudden change of heart?”

“You two actually.”

I almost spit out the bugle in my mouth right on the spot. Cade’s shocked powdered donut covered face was also priceless.

“When I figured out what Cade was doing with you at that studio it made me think maybe if I wasn’t the only person that was afraid of something that was hiding something then maybe bringing that thing to light wouldn’t be so hard. It’s easier to walk with a friend then walk alone.” 

“Aw buddy!” Cade said mocking his friend’s emotion and putting his hand over his heart and wiping away a fake tear.

“Oh shut up.” Finn said throwing a stray bugle at him. 

“We’re so inspirational.” I said giggling.

“I wanted her back anyways Cade and you deciding to break the social hierarchy was just the cherry on top.” 

“At least something good might come of this idea.” I said.

“Yeah I met get my girl back!” he said high fiving Cade.

“First off the word my indicates possession, and second of all if she has any brains whatsoever she’ll lay you out to dry so fast your head will spin.” I said eyeing them both.

Cade just looked like he was disappointed in himself and Finn wiped the smirk off his face real fast.

“So you still think I’m an asshole?” he asked me.

“Eh you’re growing on me slowly, but hurt her again and I’ll break your skull into tiny pieces with one hit of my steel toed boot got it?”

“Yes ma’am” he said saluting me jumping over the back of the truck and sitting on the side next to Cade.

“Does this mean I get snacks?” he asked giddy.

“Sure buddy.” Cade said chuckling handing him the bag of Bugles and sliding over the remnants of the donut holes we had scarfed down in stress.  

“By the way I might be able to help you guys out with the outfits for your little dance parade. I found some of my mom and dad’s old clothes from high school the other day in the attic when I was looking for some old comics and it turns out they went to a masquerade ball back then for some dinner banquet.”

“They wouldn’t miss them or I don’t know kill you for stealing them?”  I said.

“They have ten more boxes of old clothes where those came from so trust me they won’t.”

“Vintage outfits from the time period in which the studio was still open? “

“With 80’s puffy sleeves to match.” He said smiling at me.

“Masks included?”

“Masks included.”

“This might me the beginning of a tentative friendship Finn.” I said beaming.

“Tentative?”

“Yeah I still think you’re a weasel, just maybe less of one now.”

“I can take that.” He said nodding his head.

One thing down and one thousand more to go, not to mention actually pulling off this whole thing without tripping or falling or vomiting in pure fear. We had outfits now all we needed was Harvey out of jail, Ms. Lilith with the deed to the studio in her hands, a solid place to finish practicing, Darcy to actually speak to me, oh and an absolute miracle or genie that could somehow make all of these things happen in the next week and a half. Time flies when you’re not having fun.

I groaned and hit my head against the side of the truck in frustration. One step forward and ten more backwards always seemed to be the way these days. The fact that Cade or I haven’t lost our minds by now is a total miracle, in fact him more than me. At least I had a supportive mother and a somewhat stable life. His father practically threw him to the dogs as soon as he was able to walk on his own two feet. I looked over at him smiling with no remnants of pain in his eyes.

He really was good at hiding everything. That was one thing I was slowly starting to envy about Cade no matter what he never faltered and it made me never want to either.